Welcome to Farmingdale State College’s Policy Library. This library is the official repository for all institutional policies and procedures and is intended to be a resource for faculty, staff and students seeking information related to the policies that govern the institution. This library does not contain department-specific policies and procedures. Please contact the department for specific departmental policies and procedures.
Please direct all questions regarding policy content to the Responsible Office listed on the respective policy.
The purpose of this policy is to support and maintain a welcoming campus image and improve the on-campus experience for both regular users and visitors through a uniform and cohesive signage system.
Faculty, Staff, Students, Third-Parties
All signage on campus must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), New York State Fire and Building codes, and all other applicable state and federal regulations. Permanent and temporary signage must also adhere to the College’s approved style guidelines maintained by the Office for Marketing & Communications. The campus has the authority to remove signage that does not follow the guidelines set forth in this policy.
Requests for permanent signage, required to be affixed, installed, or painted must be submitted to Physical Plant through the campus work order system. Examples of such signage include, but are not limited to: interior and exterior wayfinding signs, building directories, interior and exterior building identifications, and room and personnel identification signs.
Requests for regulatory and street traffic signs must be submitted to University Police who will coordinate installation with Physical Plant.
Physical Plant staff are the only personnel authorized to affix, replace, and remove installed signage.
The campus strongly recommends using the video bulletin boards placed throughout campus as the primary platform for temporary signage. Requests for slides on the video bulletin boards must be submitted to Information Technology following the procedures outlined below.
Temporary signage, not requiring installation, may be hung with care on appropriate bulletin boards and office doors. Temporary signage is not permitted to be affixed to walls, columns or other campus fixtures. Temporary signage may include, but is not limited to office hours signs, campus event flyers, and informational documents.
Temporary wayfinding signs, banners, and other informational signage for campus events such as Open House, Accepted Students Day, and Resident Student Check-in may be necessary. These signs may only be affixed or publicized during the event and removed no more than 24 hours after the event. Physical Plant can assist with affixing and removing of such signage through a workorder placed in the workorder system.
Student groups and organizations that need to post temporary signage for student-related events, meetings, and other announcements must contact Student Activities.
Third parties utilizing campus facilities must request permission from the Use of Facilities Office to post, affix, or hang signage.
Permanent Signage Installations
- Permanent signage, including building directories and wayfinding signs, must be created using style guidelines provided by the Office for Marketing & Communications Aries web page. For signage requiring special designs or graphics, such as maps, building directories, or custom projects, the Office for Marketing & Communications must be consulted at least 6 weeks prior to the date the design is needed in order to ensure conformity with the campus’ style guidelines.
- Requests for regulatory and traffic signs must be submitted to University Police at least 6 weeks in advance of the date the sign is needed. These requests must be submitted by an area Vice President.
- Requests for other types of permanent signage must be submitted to Physical Plant via the workorder system by a department head. These include, but are not limited to:
- Room identification signs
- Personnel identification signs
- Interior and exterior building identification signs
- Interior and exterior wayfinding signs
- For room and personnel identification signs, the FSC Room Identification Signage Form must be attached to the workorder.
- Replacement or removal of permanent signage must be made to Physical Plant via the workorder system.
- Physical Plant staff are the only personnel authorized to install or affix permanent signage on campus.
- Temporary signage, including office hours, flyers, informational signs, and wayfinding signs, must be created with the design templates, logos, and other style guidelines provided on the Office for Marketing & Communications Aries web page. For signage requiring special designs or graphics, such as banners, lawn signs, sandwich boards, or custom projects, the Office for Marketing & Communications must be consulted prior to design to ensure conformity with the campus’ style guidelines.
- To request a slide on the video bulletin boards, slides must be emailed to email@example.com. Slides can be designed in any program that will enable you to setup the page size in a horizontal 16:9, 1920x1080 format and saved as a JPEG. PowerPoint and Photoshop are programs that can be used. For more information visit the Campus Bulletin Board web page.
- Temporary signage must be hung on appropriate bulletin boards and office doors with a temporary adhesive in a manner that will not cause damage to boards or doors.
- For assistance to hang banners and similar types of signage, a work order should be submitted to Physical Plant via the workorder system.
- Temporary signs such as sandwich boards and lawn signs must be placed in appropriate locations and removed in a timely manner or within 24 hours after an event or activity. Physical Plant should be referred to for questions regarding appropriate locations of such signage to ensure compliance with fire safety codes and other regulations.
Permanent Signage – Signage that is intended to be affixed, installed, or painted for a long period of time and serves the purpose for identification, direction, and information.
Temporary Signage – Signage that serves the purpose of information and direction intended for a short period of time.
Approved January 12, 2021
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Amnesty Policy
- Aviation Flight Center Safety Policy
- Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
- Campus Policy for Animals Care and Use for Research
- Campus Policy for Assignment of Credit Hours
- Campus Policy for Credit‐By‐Evaluation
- Campus Policy for Transfer Credit
- Captioned Media Policy
- Faculty Compensation and Load Credit for Credit‐Bearing Internships
- General Education Requirements
- Grade Grievance Procedure
- Guidelines for Academic Standing for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
- Plagiarism Detection and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Planning & Conducting Distance Learning
- Policies for Academic Standing for Non-Matriculated Students
- Policy and Procedure Guide For Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs
- Policy for Recording Classroom Instruction
- Specially Designated Course Policy
- Student Attendance Policy
- Use of Solar Carport
- Writing-Intensive Requirement
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Additional Sick Leave Request Guidelines(a.k.a. Presidential Sick Leave)
- Also Receives Policy
- Alternate Work Location Policy
- Background Investigation Policy
- Civility and Bullying Policy
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
- Domestic Violence and the Workplace Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
- Extra Service Processing Procedure
- Farmingdale State College Consensual Relationship Policy
- Internal Promotion Policy
- Mandatory Reporting and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
- Nepotism Policy
- New Position Justification
- Part Time Recruiting and Hiring
- Policy on Affirmative Action Search Waivers
- Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
- Telecommuting Policy
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Banner Security Policy
- Copyright Guidelines
- Data Communication Network Security Policy
- Farmingdale Information Security Policy
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Guidelines for the use of Digital Material
- Retiree Email Policy
- Wired or Wireless Network Policy