Welcome to Farmingdale State College’s Policy Library. This library is the official repository for all institutional policies and procedures and is intended to be a resource for faculty, staff and students seeking information related to the policies that govern the institution. This library does not contain department-specific policies and procedures. Please contact the department for specific departmental policies and procedures.
Please direct all questions regarding policy content to the Responsible Office listed on the respective policy.
Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
College funds may be used to reimburse certain expenses incurred by new appointees when transporting themselves, their families, and household goods and personal effects to their new place of residence. This policy applies to State appointments.When an employing unit’s administration believes it is necessary to attract specific personnel, reimbursement of moving and related expenses up to the amount of $3,000 may be authorized by the area Vice President.
Reimbursement of moving and related expenses shall not be made to an eligible employee unless the employee agrees in writing to return the monies received for such expenses in the event the employee resigns or voluntarily separates from employment within one year of the initial appointment.
IRS Publication 521 Moving Expenses explains the deduction of certain expenses of moving to a new home because of a change in job location or starting a new job. Refer to Publication 521 for complete information regarding the proper tax treatment of moving and related expense.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA Must meet the distance test as outlined in IRS Publication 521 Moving Expenses Full time appointment required Professional/faculty appointment required.
Qualifies for Reimbursement
Basic cost of moving household goods and personal effects up to 12,000 pounds, including pianos, refrigerators, and deep freezers
Yes - Must use a carrier authorized by the US Department of Transportation or trailers/trucks rented from commercial establishments. If neither commercial mover nor rental truck is used, documented moving expenses up to $200
Additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged
Packing/unpacking household goods and personal effects
Short duration (30 days) in-transit storage
Mileage incurred to drive one personally-owned vehicle from the old to the new location
Yes - Mileage is reimbursed at the rate paid by NYS for moving purposes.
Meals* and lodging
Second automobiles and other motor vehicles, boats, and trailers (other than those used as the appointee’s residence)*
Expenses related to buying or selling a house*
Expenses for renting temporary living quarters*
Building materials, animals raised for profit,
Reimbursement request submission timeframe*
Within one year of the effective date of appointment
- The candidate for employment must sign the offer letter for employment.
- The Area Vice President must provide the Department of Human Resources with authorization to pay relocation expenses.
- This authorization must indicate the maximum amount of money payable to the individual.
- The reimbursement will be based on costs from a reasonable distance and budget availability.
- The candidate must complete the Request for reimbursement of Moving Expenses (Form AC-1099).
- The candidate must sign the repayment agreement on the form.
- A receipted original or carbon copy of the Bill of Lading or Freight Bill must be attached. Additionally, if a certified carrier is not used, copies of three competitive bids must be included.
- A Standard Voucher (Form AC-92) must be attached providing a summary of the details of allowable expenditures.
- All completed forms should be submitted to the Director of Human Resources or designee for processing.
Household goods and personal effects
Household goods are all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools, and equipment, including necessary expenditures for handling such items as pianos, refrigerators, and deep freezers. For the purposes of moving expenses, the term personal effects includes, but is not limited to, moveable personal property that the employee owns and frequently uses
Effective Date: April 15, 2013
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Amnesty Policy
- Aviation Flight Center Safety Policy
- Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
- Campus Policy for Animals Care and Use for Research
- Campus Policy for Assignment of Credit Hours
- Campus Policy for Credit‐By‐Evaluation
- Campus Policy for Transfer Credit
- Captioned Media Policy
- Faculty Compensation and Load Credit for Credit‐Bearing Internships
- General Education Requirements
- Grade Grievance Procedure
- Guidelines for Academic Standing for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
- Plagiarism Detection and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Planning & Conducting Distance Learning
- Policies for Academic Standing for Non-Matriculated Students
- Policy and Procedure Guide For Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs
- Policy for Recording Classroom Instruction
- Specially Designated Course Policy
- Student Attendance Policy
- Use of Solar Carport
- Writing-Intensive Requirement
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Additional Sick Leave Request Guidelines(a.k.a. Presidential Sick Leave)
- Also Receives Policy
- Alternate Work Location Policy
- Background Investigation Policy
- Civility and Bullying Policy
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
- Domestic Violence and the Workplace Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
- Extra Service Processing Procedure
- Farmingdale State College Consensual Relationship Policy
- Internal Promotion Policy
- Mandatory Reporting and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
- Nepotism Policy
- New Position Justification
- Part Time Recruiting and Hiring
- Policy on Affirmative Action Search Waivers
- Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
- Telecommuting Policy
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Banner Security Policy
- Copyright Guidelines
- Data Communication Network Security Policy
- Farmingdale Information Security Policy
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Guidelines for the use of Digital Material
- Retiree Email Policy
- Wired or Wireless Network Policy