Welcome to Farmingdale State College’s Policy Library. This library is the official repository for all institutional policies and procedures and is intended to be a resource for faculty, staff and students seeking information related to the policies that govern the institution. This library does not contain department-specific policies and procedures. Please contact the department for specific departmental policies and procedures.
Please direct all questions regarding policy content to the Responsible Office listed on the respective policy.
Background Investigation Policy
Faculty, Staff, Students, Third-Parties
Farmingdale State College (hereinafter referred to as “the College”) is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its faculty staff, students, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. The College is also committed to ensuring that individuals appointed as faculty, professional and classified staff meet the standards of excellence required for their position and demonstrate history of lawful and responsible conduct. The College will perform pre-employment background checks on all candidates offered full time employment.
- A confidential request for a background investigation will be sent to the investigative reporting agency via electronic means for the final candidate selected for a position.
- The investigative reporting agency will obtain a fully completed Fair Credit Reporting Act “FCRA” consent form from all external candidates being considered for potential employment.
- The person obtaining the signed consent must then advise the candidate that a background investigation will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment has been accepted.
- A check of the candidate’s driving record (“DMV check”) will be conducted, if the job for which the candidate is being considered may involve driving on behalf of the College or operating a college-owned/leased vehicle.
- A Social Security Number check will be conducted on all candidates.
- A criminal (felony/misdemeanor) background check will be conducted on each candidate for current county/state of residence, as well as all prior counties/states of residence, where such records are reasonably available through established means of search, subject to any applicable legal limitations.
- A credential and education verification will be conducted on candidates applying for positions requiring specific certifications and/or degrees.
- All job-relevant adverse findings obtained pursuant to a background investigation will be reviewed by the Director or Associate Director of Human Resources, in consultation with the relevant administrators. A decision will then be made as to whether such findings constitute grounds for either rescinding or failing to extend an employment offer.
- If a candidate is not hired as a result of such adverse findings, she/he will be so advised by telephone and Certified Mail marked “Confidential”. Additionally, the candidate will receive copies of all pre- and post- adverse employment action notices required by state and/or federal law, by Certified Mail.
- Background investigation data supplied shall be kept in a designated secured file in Human Resources and separate from employment applications, resumes and Personnel files.
- In lieu of this policy, individuals appointed to University Police Officer positions will be governed by the policies and procedures of SUNY and the Division of Criminal Justice Services regarding the appointment of police officers
Effective Date: March 17, 2014
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Amnesty Policy
- Aviation Flight Center Safety Policy
- Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
- Campus Policy for Animals Care and Use for Research
- Campus Policy for Assignment of Credit Hours
- Campus Policy for Credit‐By‐Evaluation
- Campus Policy for Transfer Credit
- Captioned Media Policy
- Faculty Compensation and Load Credit for Credit‐Bearing Internships
- General Education Requirements
- Grade Grievance Procedure
- Guidelines for Academic Standing for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
- Plagiarism Detection and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Planning & Conducting Distance Learning
- Policies for Academic Standing for Non-Matriculated Students
- Policy and Procedure Guide For Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs
- Policy for Recording Classroom Instruction
- Specially Designated Course Policy
- Student Attendance Policy
- Use of Solar Carport
- Writing-Intensive Requirement
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Additional Sick Leave Request Guidelines(a.k.a. Presidential Sick Leave)
- Also Receives Policy
- Alternate Work Location Policy
- Background Investigation Policy
- Civility and Bullying Policy
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
- Domestic Violence and the Workplace Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
- Extra Service Processing Procedure
- Farmingdale State College Consensual Relationship Policy
- Internal Promotion Policy
- Mandatory Reporting and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
- Nepotism Policy
- New Position Justification
- Part Time Recruiting and Hiring
- Policy on Affirmative Action Search Waivers
- Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
- Telecommuting Policy
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Banner Security Policy
- Copyright Guidelines
- Data Communication Network Security Policy
- Farmingdale Information Security Policy
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Guidelines for the use of Digital Material
- Retiree Email Policy
- Wired or Wireless Network Policy