Welcome to Farmingdale State College’s Policy Library. This library is the official repository for all institutional policies and procedures and is intended to be a resource for faculty, staff and students seeking information related to the policies that govern the institution. This library does not contain department-specific policies and procedures. Please contact the department for specific departmental policies and procedures.
Please direct all questions regarding policy content to the Responsible Office listed on the respective policy.
Policy on Student Rights Assembly Procedures
Farmingdale State College (the “College”) seeks to encourage and preserve freedom of expression and inquiry within the entire college community. The College, as a public institution, serves uniquely as a marketplace for the exchange of ideas and opinions and as a forum for the public expression of views. Some of the expressions may be counter to commonly held or popular values, theories, and beliefs. Farmingdale State College has a special obligation to protect the First Amendment rights of free speech and assembly. These rights are guaranteed by the United States and New York Constitutions.
This policy is applicable to all Farmingdale State College students as defined in the College’s Student Code of Conduct. The College’s “Use of Facilities by Third Parties for Free Speech” Policy applies to all third parties, who are not sponsored by the College and/or a recognized student group, who want to use the College’s designated public forum for free speech purposes.
Farmingdale State College respects and supports students’ efforts to exercise their rights to free speech and assembly. The Division of Student Affairs has designated the Office of Student Activities to provide the appropriate support for the successful implementation of these events. Following College procedure will ensure a safe and effective assembly activity. Every effort will be made by the College to respond affirmatively to all requests to engage in assembly activity. However, consideration must be given to the time, place, and manner of the assembly activity to ensure the health and safety of the participants and the non-interference with authorized College business, activities, or events.
1. Services - To help ensure the safety of participants and the protection of the rights of all members of the campus community, the College can provide services such as location, safety, crowd control, sound equipment (unless prohibited in certain areas as per College rules), site preparation/cleanup, and/or other such facilities or services it deems necessary (“Services”).
a. Request for Services - Assemblies for which Services are necessary should submit a request for Services to the Student Activities Office via RamCentral, as follows:
- At least three (3) business days prior to the planned event a request should be submitted by completing the following:
- Log in to RamCentral
- Go to the student organization’s portal
- Click on “Events” at the top
- Click “Create an Event” on the right and fill in the details
- Due to limited space at the College, when it is anticipated that participants for a particular assembly will equal or exceed ten (10) students, the sponsor/organizer must submit a request for Services.
- A professional staff member from the Office of Student Activities will promptly respond to the request for Services after receipt of the request and prior to the date of the assembly.
- A professional staff member will review the request and work with the sponsor/organizer to accommodate requests and determine a reasonable time, place, and manner for the assembly activity.
- While every attempt will be made to accommodate all requests, some modifications to the assembly activity request may be required due to the availability of the proposed time and place of the activity. An Office of Student Activities professional staff member will inform the sponsor/organizer of these modifications and guide the sponsor/organizer as they plan their assembly activity.
- In the event that the proposed assembly activity is planned in direct response to a current event, the Office of Student Activities realizes that it may not be possible to submit a request in advance. In such cases, the sponsor/organizer should connect as soon as possible with a liaison in the Office of Student Activities in order to swiftly coordinate the assembly activity.
934-420-2103 or email@example.com for guidance.
Public Area: Space designated by the College as open and not requiring a reservation for use.*
Assembly: A group of students gathering together in a public area for a common purpose. This includes, but is not limited to, activities such as protests, demonstrations, rallies, vigils, and picketing.
* At the College, public areas are limited. These areas are often reserved for particular events and activities, but are otherwise open for general use by students. For information or questions about public areas, please contact Student Activities.
Effective date: April 18, 2018
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Amnesty Policy
- Aviation Flight Center Safety Policy
- Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
- Campus Policy for Animals Care and Use for Research
- Campus Policy for Assignment of Credit Hours
- Campus Policy for Credit‐By‐Evaluation
- Campus Policy for Transfer Credit
- Captioned Media Policy
- Faculty Compensation and Load Credit for Credit‐Bearing Internships
- General Education Requirements
- Grade Grievance Procedure
- Guidelines for Academic Standing for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
- Plagiarism Detection and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Planning & Conducting Distance Learning
- Policies for Academic Standing for Non-Matriculated Students
- Policy and Procedure Guide For Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs
- Policy for Recording Classroom Instruction
- Specially Designated Course Policy
- Student Attendance Policy
- Use of Solar Carport
- Writing-Intensive Requirement
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Additional Sick Leave Request Guidelines(a.k.a. Presidential Sick Leave)
- Also Receives Policy
- Alternate Work Location Policy
- Background Investigation Policy
- Civility and Bullying Policy
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
- Domestic Violence and the Workplace Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
- Extra Service Processing Procedure
- Farmingdale State College Consensual Relationship Policy
- Internal Promotion Policy
- Mandatory Reporting and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
- Nepotism Policy
- New Position Justification
- Part Time Recruiting and Hiring
- Policy on Affirmative Action Search Waivers
- Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
- Telecommuting Policy
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Banner Security Policy
- Copyright Guidelines
- Data Communication Network Security Policy
- Farmingdale Information Security Policy
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Guidelines for the use of Digital Material
- Retiree Email Policy
- Wired or Wireless Network Policy