Welcome to Farmingdale State College’s Policy Library. This library is the official repository for all institutional policies and procedures and is intended to be a resource for faculty, staff and students seeking information related to the policies that govern the institution. This library does not contain department-specific policies and procedures. Please contact the department for specific departmental policies and procedures.
Please direct all questions regarding policy content to the Responsible Office listed on the respective policy.
Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
In accordance with the State University of New York Board of Trustees September 10, 2015 resolution "To make SUNY the most inclusive higher education system in the country" and to align with current Title IX legislation supporting Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity, Farmingdale State College has established a Campus Policy for Preferred First Name Use.
Farmingdale State College (FSC) recognizes that many students, faculty and staff prefer to use names other than their legal ones to identify themselves. As long as the use of this preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the College acknowledges that a "preferred first name" can and should be used where possible in the course of college business and education.
Faculty, Staff, Students, Third-Parties
- The legal name is the name that appears on government issued identification. The legal name will continue to be used in college related systems, business processes, and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, tax documents, diplomas and certificates, payroll, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or College Policy.
- This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered or rescinded at the discretion of Farmingdale State College. Inappropriate use of the preferred name, including but not limited to misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, may be cause for denying the request.
- FSC will attempt to display preferred first name to the college community where feasible and appropriate, and make a good faith effort to update reports, documents and systems accordingly. Specifically, the college will display a preferred first name in the following areas:
- FSC ID Cards – BOTH Legal and Preferred First Name
- Email address
- Email display
- Class rosters
- Grade rosters
- Advising screens – Degree Audit and other advising systems
- Directory listings (telephone, online, hardcopy)
- Email list server interface
- Campus registration and password expiration reset
- Campus staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health services, financial services; deans' office staff) will see both legal first name and preferred first name. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, the administrative staff are trained on the implications of this access.
- Preferred First Name Request (optional)
- Request for Use of a Preferred First Name
Complete the Request for Use of Preferred First Name form. Student requests are processed through the Office of the Registrar, located in Laffin Hall; and faculty/ staff requests are processed through the Office of Human Resources, located in Whitman Hall. The request form along with a photo ID is required at the time of processing.
- New FSC- ID Card
Once your preferred first name request has been processed in the student/employee information system (usually within 48 hours) new FSC ID cards can be generated. The lost/replacement card fee applies to this service.
- Preferred Name Change
Preferred name can be changed no more than once an academic year and twice during your tenure at Farmingdale State College.
- Appeals process for Denied Preferred First Name Requests
All appeals for denial of preferred first name requests should be presented to the Title IX Coordinator.
Effective Date: April 18, 2018
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Amnesty Policy
- Aviation Flight Center Safety Policy
- Campus Policy For Preferred First Name
- Campus Policy for Animals Care and Use for Research
- Campus Policy for Assignment of Credit Hours
- Campus Policy for Credit‐By‐Evaluation
- Campus Policy for Transfer Credit
- Captioned Media Policy
- Faculty Compensation and Load Credit for Credit‐Bearing Internships
- General Education Requirements
- Grade Grievance Procedure
- Guidelines for Academic Standing for Matriculated Undergraduate Students
- Plagiarism Detection and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Planning & Conducting Distance Learning
- Policies for Academic Standing for Non-Matriculated Students
- Policy and Procedure Guide For Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs
- Policy for Recording Classroom Instruction
- Specially Designated Course Policy
- Student Attendance Policy
- Use of Solar Carport
- Writing-Intensive Requirement
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Additional Sick Leave Request Guidelines(a.k.a. Presidential Sick Leave)
- Also Receives Policy
- Alternate Work Location Policy
- Background Investigation Policy
- Civility and Bullying Policy
- Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure
- Domestic Violence and the Workplace Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy
- Extra Service Processing Procedure
- Farmingdale State College Consensual Relationship Policy
- Internal Promotion Policy
- Mandatory Reporting and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse
- Nepotism Policy
- New Position Justification
- Part Time Recruiting and Hiring
- Policy on Affirmative Action Search Waivers
- Reimbursement of Moving Expenses Policy
- Telecommuting Policy
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
- Acceptable Use Policy for Computer Facilities
- Banner Security Policy
- Copyright Guidelines
- Data Communication Network Security Policy
- Farmingdale Information Security Policy
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Guidelines for the use of Digital Material
- Retiree Email Policy
- Wired or Wireless Network Policy