Preferred First Name Request
Farmingdale State College recognizes that many students, faculty and staff prefer to use names other than their legal ones to identify themselves. As long as the use of this preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the college acknowledges that a "preferred first name" can and should be used where possible in the course of college business and education.
The legal name is the name that appears on government issued identification. The legal name will continue to be used in college related systems, business processes, and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, tax documents, diplomas and certificates, payroll, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or College Policy.
Inappropriate use of the preferred name, including but not limited to misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, may be cause for denying the request.
If you're interested in declaring a preferred name you will need to complete the Preferred Name Request Form, before doing so please review the FAQs regarding the policy below.
FSC will attempt to display preferred first name to the college community where feasible and appropriate, and make a good faith effort to update reports, documents and systems accordingly. Specifically, the college will display a preferred first name in the following areas:
- FSC ID Cards –(BOTH Legal and Preferred First Name will be visible)
- Email address
- Email display
- Class rosters
- Grade rosters
- Advising screens – Degree Audit and other advising systems
- Directory listings (telephone, online, hard copy)
- Email list server interface
- Campus registration and password expiration reset
- Transcripts (official and unofficial)
- Official enrollment and degree verification documents
- Student billing and student accounts (including e-Bills)
- Financial aid and scholarship records
- Medical records
- Insurance documents
- Benefits enrollment
- Retirement documents
- Immigration documents
- Payroll/tax records (including web time entry) and payment types
- Education Department teacher certification records
- Diploma name
- Emergency contact forms
- Admissions records
- Athletics recruiting