Chosen First Name, Pronouns and Gender Designation Policy

Farmingdale State College recognizes that students, faculty and staff may prefer to use names other than their legal ones to identify themselves. These may include, but are not limited to, people who use their middle name instead of their first name, people who use nicknames instead of a legal name, people who use an anglicized name, or people who use a name that affirms their gender identity. 

The policy uses the language “Chosen” names. A student/faculty/staff may prefer to be known by a shortened name or a nickname. Alternatively, they may choose to be known by a different name. 

As long as the use of this chosen name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the college acknowledges that a "chosen first name" can and should be used where possible in the course of college business and education.

The legal name is the name that appears on government issued identification. The legal name will continue to be used in college related systems, business processes, and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, tax documents, diplomas and certificates, payroll, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or College Policy.

Inappropriate use of the chosen name, including but not limited to misrepresentation or attempting to avoid a legal obligation, may be cause for denying the request.

Farmingdale State College is committed to supporting a diverse, inclusive and welcoming environment for its students, faculty and staff, and recognizes that chosen name, pronouns and gender designation are an important part of a person’s identity. As such, the College provides students and employees with the opportunity to identify themselves with a chosen name, pronouns and/or gender if desired. Click here to select a Chosen Name, Pronouns and/or a Gender Designation. These designations may be changed once an academic year and twice during a student or employee’s tenure at Farmingdale State College.

FSC will attempt to display chosen first name to the college community where feasible and appropriate, and make a good faith effort to update reports, documents and systems accordingly. Specifically, the college will display a preferred or chosen first name in the following areas:

  • FSC ID Cards –(BOTH Legal and Chosen First Name will be visible)
  • Email address
  • Email display
  • Brightspace
  • Class rosters
  • Grade rosters
  • Advising screens – Degree Audit and other advising systems
  • Directory listings (telephone, online, hard copy)
  • Email list server interface
  • Campus registration and password expiration reset
Yes. This option is available for all current students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
No, you do not have to specify a chosen name. Using a chosen first name is entirely optional. If you regularly use your legal name, then please do not submit a chosen name request. This is an option for people who wish to use a name other than their legal name to identify themselves. 
Some college departments interact with, and send reports to, federal, state and other third party services that verify the identity of faculty, staff and students using the legal name and other personally identifiable information which prohibits the use of a chosen first name. In these cases, your legal first name will appear on all other college records and communications such as:
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Official enrollment and degree verification documents
  • Student billing and student accounts (including e-Bills)
  • Financial aid and scholarship records
  • Medical records
  • Insurance documents
  • Benefits enrollment
  • Retirement documents
  • Immigration documents
  • Payroll/tax records (including web time entry) and payment types
  • Education Department teacher certification records
  • Diploma name
Campus Staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health services, financial services; deans' office staff) will see both legal first name and chosen first name. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, the staff are trained on the implications of this access.
  • Emergency contact forms
  • Admissions records
  • Athletics recruiting
  • Police
  • Health and Wellness
  • Dean's Office Staff
  • Registrar

You can request a new FSC ID Card once your chosen first name request has been processed in student/employee information system (usually within 48 hours).

Visit University Police to request a replacement ID once your preferred or chosen name has been processed through the system. The lost/replacement card fee applies to this service.

Note: Your FSC ID is not a legal form of identification. Carry your driver's license or other legal identification when you leave campus or need to provide legal documentation.

Changing your chosen first name in FSC systems can have ripple effects on your day-to-day experiences. It can lead to confusion regarding your identity, challenges in customer service, and/or the interruption of your ability to access some college systems. As such, your chosen name can be changed no more than once an academic year and twice during your tenure at Farmingdale State College.
Feel free to contact the Registrar's Office with any questions regarding this process if you are a student.  Faculty and staff should contact the Office of Human Resources.
Chosen name is for use within the college community. International students may feel free to select a chosen first name for on-campus use. However, this does not apply in situations where one’s legal name is required. For the purpose of F-1 or J-1 student visa status, the legal name is required on I-20s and DS-2019s. An individual’s legal name is what appears in the passport.
No, unless you wish to indicate your gender identity.
No, unless you wish to express a different gender identity from cultural expectations based on the sex you were assigned at birth.
Last Modified 5/17/23