Farmingdale State College (FSC) is committed to ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for all members of the FSC community, including our LGBTQIA+ students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community partners. I invite you to engage in the creation and maintenance of a healthy, supportive, inclusive, and affirming environment for FSC's LGBTQIA+ community. Together we will:
- Promote an inclusive community where LGBTQIA+ people have the opportunity to participate fully in all areas of the College.
- Provide support and resources to address issues and concerns that impact LGBTQIA+ individuals and communities.
- Deliver educational opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to develop a culture of understanding and respect for LGBTQIA+ people.
- Foster a community that understands and values a person's intersecting and complex identities and experiences.
- Provide social, culture, educational, and recreational opportunities, both formal and informal, for LGBTQIA+ students to connect with one another and create community.
- Foster a community that acknowledges and changes systems of oppression through coalition building across campus sectors.
FSC PRIDE promotes mutual respect between LGBTQIA+ persons and their allies on and off campus. We strive to empower individuals who feel marginalized because of their gender identity or sexual orientation. Each semester, FSC PRIDE offers workshops, lectures, educational programs, discussion groups, events, and other activities open to the entire community. In addition, FSC PRIDE offers a safe environment where LGBTQIA+ members of the campus community can express themselves without fear of discrimination.
We are open to all people regardless of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, religion, marital status, political affiliation, or social interests. FSC PRIDE promotes visibility and acceptance throughout the FSC community and beyond. For more information, visit the Office of Student Activities, located in Quintyne Hall Room 111. Students can learn more online about the more than 80 clubs and organizations offered on campus, including FSC PRIDE, here.
Follow us on social media:
Access to restrooms that correspond to a person's gender identity is a human right.
All FSC community members may use bathrooms that align with their gender identity. In addition, signage posted outside of single-stall restrooms across campus reflect FSC's commitment to all members of the campus family, particularly transgender, gender non-conforming and non-binary students and employees. These signs designate single-stall restrooms as gender inclusive and accessible to all.
Below is a list of the location of gender-inclusive bathrooms around FSC's campus:
- Lupton Hall
- Quintyne Hall
- Campus Center
Preferred Name-Change Procedure
Referring to students and employees by a chosen name in classrooms, the workplace, and when interacting with college personnel, supports a welcoming and respectful learning and working environment. The reasons for selecting a chosen name are personal and different for each person.
Students and employees at FSC may identify themselves using a chosen first name that differs from their legal name. A student or employee's chosen name will appear in select College-related systems and documents instead of the person's legal name, as noted below:
- FSC ID Cards - (both legal and preferred first name will be visible)
- Email address and display
- Class rosters and grade rosters
- Advising screens - (degree audit and other advising systems)
- Directory listings - (telephone, online, hard copy)
- Email list listserv interface
- Campus registration and password expiration reset
FSC encourages students and employees to use a chosen name other than their legal name to identify themselves is they wish. For more information on how to do so, visit the Registrar's webpage.
FSC values diversity in all its forms. We foster a culture that prioritizes openness and inclusivity to people of all sexual orientations and genders. As part of its overall mission, FSC is committed to celebrating LGBTQIA+ learning opportunities, resources, and advocacy services to all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community partners.
We invite you to take advantage of the following resources:
- Confidential medical offerings in the Health and Wellness Center, including walk-in clinic hours, laboratory services, and prescription medications. Staff members keep all disclosures private.
- Discreet counseling in Campus Mental Health Services to address internal conflicts, depression, anxiety, and gender affirmation.
- Campus-wide LGBTQIA+ - themed educational programs and social events, including guest performances and speakers. National Coming Out Week, Transgender Remembrance Month, Pride Week, and more.
- Ally trainings (sexuality, gender, and LGBTQIA+ education sessions) scheduled each semester.
- Information about Long Island's four LGBTQIA+ community centers and organizations:
- Nassau: The Center at Woodbury
- Suffolk: The Center at Bay Shore, The Hamptons LGBT Center, and the Queens LGBT Community Center (Q-Center) in Little Neck.
Join us in uniting different backgrounds and identities within our community. For more information about campus services, contact FSC's Title IX Coordinator at any time.