Writing Center - Fall 2022 update
Appointments are now available for the fall semester! Please see below to schedule your appointment.
New for fall 2022:
- Book your appointment online! The Writing Center will no longer be scheduling appointments through e-mail. Please use the link at the bottom of the page or from the side navigation bar to access our Bookings scheduling system. Only appointments scheduled through the Bookings system will be accepted.
- Effective the fall 2022 semester, all students will be required to have their FSC student ID card to swipe into the Writing Center in order to use the Center's services.
The Writing Center is a support service open to the Farmingdale State College community. We work with students through the entire writing process in any subject area, while addressing students’ needs in a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Peer and professional writing tutors guide students through the writing process and provide writing assistance from conception to completion of any course paper.
Students will find assistance with any part of the writing process. Some areas include:
- Overcoming Writers Block/Pre-writing
- Organizing & Structuring Ideas
- Revising, Editing & Proofreading
- Grammar & Punctuation
- Documentation/Avoiding Plagiarism
- Implementing Research Ideas
We strongly recommend students view our Frequently Asked Questions as well as the General and Appointment policies below prior to their initial tutoring session. Once you have carefully read over these policies, book your appointment using our Bookings scheduling system.
- Students must come to the Writing Center prepared. They must bring a copy of their assignment and any materials associated with the assignment, such as the Professor’s instructions, a copy of the paper with the Professor’s comments, and the student’s attempt at any corrections.
- Students must have completed any necessary reading prior to the session and must be prepared to brainstorm.
- Students are expected to make all suggested and necessary changes, including those from the instructor prior to the tutoring session.
- Tutors are prohibited from writing papers for students. It is the student’s sole responsibility to complete their paper as well as make any suggested revisions.
- Students must be present to review their paper with the tutor. Students are not permitted to drop off any work (in-person or electronically) for the Writing Center to review.
- Tutors reserve the right to end a session early if a student is not prepared, not actively participating, or not conducting themselves according to the Student Code of Conduct.
Important note: The Writing Center does not edit papers. All students must be present to review the paper with the tutor. Please do NOT send any of your work to the Writing Center e-mail address.
- All appointments are created using the Bookings scheduling system. Any appointment requests sent via e-mail will not be accepted.
- Appointments should be booked at least 24 hours in advance and may be scheduled up to 3 weeks (21 days) in advance.
- Depending on tutor availability, some walk-in appointments (made less than 24 hours in advance) may be accommodated, but cannot be guaranteed. Walk-ins may not be for the full duration of a typical tutoring session depending on the tutor's availability.
- Appointments are available in-person or remotely, and students must specify their preference when booking the appointment. Last minute requests to switch the modality may not be accommodated.
- Tutoring sessions are generally 30 - 45 minutes. Tutors reserve the right to end or extend sessions at their discretion.
- Students may only receive tutoring in courses for which they are enrolled at FSC for
the current semester.
Students are only permitted one (1) tutoring appointment per course per day. (Lab/Theory are counted as one course).
Back-to-back (double) appointments for the same course will not be accepted.
- Students who need to cancel or reschedule an appointment should do so at least 12 hours prior to their session by contacting the Writing Center staff during normal business hours at 934-420-2082 or e-mailing WritingCenter@farmingdale.edu.
- Students who fail to arrive within the first 15 minutes of their appointment without
notifying the staff of their lateness will have their session cancelled and be marked
as a “No-show”.
- Students who are marked as a "No-show" will forfeit their appointment and will not be permitted to schedule a “walk-in”.
- After two "No-show" incidents, students will receive a warning notice. Any subsequent no-shows will result in the student being prohibited from scheduling any additional appointments for the remainder of the semester.
Please remember to use your first and last name, as well as your FSC e-mail address when booking an appointment. Thank you!
Still could use some help? Send us an Email and we will get back to you shortly.
Writing Center Events
There are no upcoming Writing Center events at this time. Check back soon for upcoming events.
Interim Director, Writing Center
Office Hours | Fall 2022
|Monday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Friday||9:00am - 3:00pm|
Effective Tuesday, September 6 through Friday, December 16.
These hours are only effective on days when classes are in session. Whenever classes are cancelled or delayed, the Writing Center will also be closed during those times.