Application Process for Veterans

Step 1. Apply Now to Farmingdale State College and follow the instructions. You will need to pay a non-refundable $50 application fee. You will need to provide direct deposit information at the time of application. For any admissions related questions contact Immediately after you submit your SUNY application, apply for GI BILL® benefits at

In a few weeks you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA stating what percentage of benefits to which you are entitled.

Step 2. All veterans should apply for Financial Aid . If you apply for FAFSA you may get more aid than you think. However, this could take up to eight weeks so apply as soon as possible.

Step 3. All Veterans go to Student Accounts well before the payment deadline and let them know what percentage of benefits you are entitled to. Student Accounts is located in Laffin Hall room 226. If you get less than 100% of GI BILL® benefits and you are an OIF/OEF vet, you can fill in the gap for tuition with the NY state VTA. They will not pay the BAH difference though.

Step 4. After acceptance to the school scan and email your VA Certificate of Eligibility, which authorizes you to receive benefits, to the Registrar's office Certifying Official at Then fill out an electronic Blue card on the Registrar’s webpage with the classes you want to take and submit it.

Step 4A. If you are a transfer student who previously used the GI BILL®, log onto and fill out a VA form 22-1995.

Step 5. The first time recipient should receive their benefits in six to eight weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits within a week to ten days from certification. You must take 12 credits or more to receive your full benefits, including tuition, fees and your housing allowance.

Veterans of the Army, Navy and Marine Corps may obtain their military transcripts through the Joint Service Transcripts from the Department of Defense at Air Force veterans must contact the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) at Maxwell AFB, Alabama.

All active-duty personnel need to Contact their educational service officer (ESO) prior to their  release from active duty.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Last Modified 2/16/24