Part of an academic service-learning project for Greenley Library by
Kevin Quinn, graduate student, St. John's University
Related Documents in the College Archives
- Conklin Street Campus
- Nazareth Trade School - Farmingdale, Long Island, NY
- Empty Auditorium, Conklin Street School
- Director Knapp Speaking, Conklin St. School, 1950
- Conklin Street Technical and Industrial Division of Farmingdale in 1948
- The Islander - 1949
The Nazareth Trade School property, located at 520 Conklin Street, Farmingdale, NY, was an important part of the development of Farmingdale State College, formerly known as the Long Island Agricultural and Technical Institute (LIATI). The mid-20th century was a pivotal time for LIATI, as the progression of World War II created challenges that the college would need to overcome. During wartime, production on the home front was expected to be efficient and plentiful. As a result, the development of science and technology, as a way to increase productivity, would become an educational focal point. Under the direction of College President Halsey B. Knapp, LIATI would adapt to the war-time and post-war environment by working to develop the Industrial-Technical division, while at the same time maintaining an emphasis on its agricultural roots.
In order to accommodate the Industrial-Technical Division, the college would need to find a space that could house the program and its students. The Nazareth Trade School was chosen by Knapp to be the temporary home for the Industrial-Technical Division until the institution could construct facilities on the main campus. The Nazareth Trade School had served many purposes over the years, as a school for orphans, and a training ground for the Army Air Force during World War II. It was bought by the Farmingdale Union Free School District in 1946, and rented to LIATI that same year. For 10 years, this property was home to the LIATI Industrial-Technical Division. During that time, students embraced the developments in science and technology, which would help them survive in the post war economy.
This collection is comprised of archived material found in the Farmingdale State College Archives. The materials are a combination of text and images gathered from Photographs, Yearbooks, Course Catalogs and Event Programs. The image materials depict the Nazareth Trade School building, student activity in the building, and the surrounding buildings that made up the Conklin Street campus, as well as maps of the Conklin Street campus. The text materials provide insight into the Industrial-Technical Division curriculum (which found its temporary home at Nazareth Trade School), the Country Life Program, and their Industrial-Technical 'Open House' showcases. These materials help to paint a picture of the importance of the Nazareth Trade School to Farmingdale State College, from 1946-1956.
SPRING 2020 (subject to change)
|BUILDING IS CLOSED.|
|STAFF AVAILABLE AT:|
|HOURS OF ONLINE STAFF AVAILABILITY:|
|Mon-Thurs||7:45am - 11:00pm|
|Friday||7:45am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Sunday||1:00pm - 9:00pm|