Articles and Databases
Search for textbooks by course number via this list of textbooks on reserve. Also search by title in the Library's catalog. Request textbooks at the Circulation Desk. Use these books for up to two hours in the Library. Call numbers are designated by course number.
- Circulating Books: Located on the Lower Level. Check out up to 10 books for one month at a time with your FSC ID
- Reference Books: Located on the First Floor. Must be used within the Library. Includes encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries, test prep books, etc.
Search for ebooks via the "Books and eBooks" tab on the Library website. Search by topic, title, author, etc. View materials as a PDF and access from off campus with your FSC username and password.
Soil Survey of Nassau County, New York (1987)
Soil Survey of Suffolk County, New York (1975)
NOTE: Soil Survey of Nassau County, New York (1987) and Soil Survey of Suffolk County, New York (1975) : As of November 2018 physical copies of these titles are available through the Department of Urban Horticulture & Design.
See below for basic guidelines and examples of APA citation style.
APA Style Quiz
Why you need to cite sources:
- Citing sources is the only way to use other people’s work without plagiarizing (i.e. if you are using any resource [journal article, book, website, report, interview, etc.], you NEED to give credit to the original source).
- The readers of your work need citations to learn more about your ideas and where they came from.
- Citing sources shows the amount of research you’ve done.
- Citing sources strengthens your work by lending outside support to your ideas.
In-text citations give credit to sources in the body of your paper. Use in-text citations when paraphrasing, directly quoting, or using ideas from sources.
- APA citation style uses the author-date method for in-text citations: Author(s)’ last name and the year of publication for the source should appear in the text.
- Names may appear either in the sentence itself or in parentheses following the quotation or paraphrase, but the date should always appear in the parentheses, not in the text of your sentence.
- Include page numbers if you are directly quoting the material.
Citations in the Reference List must correspond to in-text citations; The word or
phrase you use in your in-text citations must be the first thing that appears on the
left-hand margin of the corresponding entry in the Reference List.
See APA Sample Title Page and Reference List
- Separate page labeled “References,” double-spaced, same margins as rest of paper.
- Indent the second and subsequent lines of citations by 0.5 inches to create a hanging indent.
- Alphabetized by the last name of the first author of each work.
- Authors' names are inverted (last name, first initial).
- List all authors of a particular work for up to and including seven authors. If the work has more than seven authors, list the first six authors and then use ellipses (...) after the sixth author's name. After the ellipses, list the last author's name of the work.
Capitalization and Punctuation
- Capitalize only the first word of a title and subtitle and proper nouns (books, chapters, articles, web pages).
- Italicize titles of longer works such as books and journals.
- Do not italicize, underline, or put quotes around the titles of shorter works such as journal articles or essays in edited collections.
NoodleTools is a citation manager that can help you generate and format citations correctly.
- Select the type of resource you are citing (article, book, website, etc.) and NoodleTools will prompt you to enter required information. A citation is then generated in your selected format.
- NoodleTools requires an account, so every time you log in your citations will be saved for you.
- When you are finished entering information, a reference list can be generated for you and exported to MS Word or Google Docs.
For more details and examples of APA citation style, visit the following websites:
RESEARCH HELP | Have a question? Librarians are available to assist you during all open hours.