Campus Buildings: Past, Present, Future
Hicks and Cutler Halls were originally called the Horticulture and Agronomy Buildings. They were both constructed in 1914. The front of Hicks has a portico (first picture), while Cutler has columns that are set flush with the facade (second picture). The picture with the leaning telephone pole shows the back of the buildings, with Cutler on the left, and Hicks on the right. Both buildings have WPA murals painted by local artist Frederick Marshall in 1936
Dorm A--Ward Hall
Constructed in 1914, this building served as a dormitory for over 40 years.
Thompson Hall, named after Senator George Thompson, was built in 1938. It was originally the Administration building, housing the Director's Office, the main office, the library, animal husbandry laboratories, and some classrooms. Senator Thompson introduced the Harte-Thompson bill, which was founded on the Lupton Bill, into the State Legislature. This bill, passed near the end of the session in 1912, "provided for a State School of Agriculture on Long Island, and appropriated ,000 for such school." (archival document, "Historical Sketch of the New York State Institute of Agriculture at Farmingdale, N. Y.")
Dr. Franklin W. Hooper, the namesake of Hooper Hall, was the Director of the Institute of Arts and Sciences, Brooklyn, NY. In 1911, he called a meeting of his colleagues to discuss the establishment of a School of Agriculture on Long Island. "He dwelt at length on the advantages the Long Island farmer had in his nearnbess to the largest city in the western continent and regarded the 'varied and vast pine barrens and scrub oak wastes capable of be ing developed profitably for vegetable gardening and fruit growing near great markets.'" (archival document, "Historical Sketch of the New York State Institute of Agriculture at Farmingdale, N. Y.")
The original heating plant building. It is now Conklin Hall.
Horton Hall was named for D. Hart Horton, and early Professor of Poultry Science.
Knapp Hall - Built in 1936, Knapp Hall was dedicated on October 20, 1937, by then Governor Herbert H. Lehman. It is of Georgian Colonial Architecture, and originally housed the modern dormitory on th e upper floors, and the kitchen, dining hall, and lounge on the first floor.
The Director's Cottage was built in 1914. It is located next to the current resid ence hall complex.
The campus had a large farm complex, consisting of many barns. The second picture was taken after a barn fire.
Some of the farm complex buildings that are still standing include a Mess Hall and Equipment/Machinery Buildings, Now Java City, SBA, and Bookstore buildings.
Mott House was owned by the Mott family, one of the fam ilies who sold land to the college to become part of the original campus. The house served as a women's dormitory for many years. It is no longer in existence.
Packing House and Cold Storage
The caption on the back of this photo says:
"Packing House and Cold Storage when first built. Old Melville Road is just off photo at lower left. Tower of cement block plant on Broad Hollow Road is visible at rear right."
Lupton Hall was named after Mr. John M. Lupton, of Mattituck, NY.
The following is from a document we have in the Archive titled "History and Data Relative to the State Institute of Agriculture at Farmingdale, New York" dated November 1945, written by unknown faculty member/s. "Very soon afterwards (after Dr. Hooper meeting in 1911) he interested Mr. John M. Lup ton of Mattituck, LI and Frederick Cox, who was then Congressman, in this project (project of establishing a school of agriculture on LI). Mr. Lupton, who twice served his district in the Assembly, introduced bills into the Legislature for the establishment of a school of Agriculture on Long Island. These bills failed to pass."
The Old Nazareth Trade School building
This building was originally an orphanange. In 1946, the college expanded from an agricultural college to encompass the industrial and technology programs. Until Lupton Hall was built, the Ind/Tech Division was housed at this building, then called the Conklin Street Building.
SPRING 2020 (subject to change)
|BUILDING IS CLOSED.|
|STAFF AVAILABLE AT:|
|HOURS OF ONLINE STAFF AVAILABILITY:|
|Mon-Thurs||7:45am - 11:00pm|
|Friday||7:45am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|Sunday||1:00pm - 9:00pm|