Frequently Asked Questions
Open SUNY is not a separate degree granting institution. Students need to matriculate at one of the SUNY campuses. Students must work with their advisor on their home campus to make sure they fulfill the requirements of the degree program.
If you are a matriculated student at one campus and are interested in registering for an Open SUNY course offered by another institution, you will need to adhere to that campus' transfer credit approval policy. You should check with your advisor for specific issues on transfer credit and applicability of course work toward the degree program.
The Open SUNY is an asynchronous network, which means that students can sign on to their courses at any time of the day or night from any place where they can access the Internet. However, courses are semester-based which means there are starting and ending dates for the courses and you must comply with the work schedule established by your professor.
Although you do not have to be an expert, you must have basic computer skills such as word processing and some experience using the Internet. Open SUNY recommends signing onto an Internet Service Provider a few months before the semester begins in order to give you time to practice using the Internet. Once you apply for the password to enter Open SUNY, you should complete the Open SUNY Orientation found on your Student Commons page so you know how to participate in an online course. Open SUNY also has a help desk that is open seven days a week to answer your questions.
- If you are a matriculated student at Farmingdale and are interested in taking one
of our Open SUNY courses, you should complete the college's regular registration procedures
as you would taking other on-campus courses. If you are matriculated at one of the
SUNY campuses (or outside the SUNY system), and are interested in taking an Open SUNY
course offered by another institution, you should adhere to your campus' policies
- transfer credit approval
- financial aid
- student accounts
- Check with your advisor for specifics on the various issues PRIOR to enrolling in an Open SUNY course. Upon approval and completion of all appropriate procedures at your home institution, complete the course registration and mail or fax it to the Farmingdale Registrar.
- NOTE: Payment at time of registration MUST be received by the campuses identified on the back of the registration form. If payment is made by check/money order or a Certificate of Residency or Immunization Record is required, a hard copy must be submitted by mail.
NON MATRICULATED STUDENTS
- If you are not currently matriculated in a degree program, mail or fax the appropriate forms to the Farmingdale Registrar.. If interested in taking multiple courses from multiple campuses, you will need to mail separate forms to each campus.
- NOTE: Payment at time of registration MUST be received by the campuses identified on the back of the registration form.If payment is made by check/money order or a Certificate of Residency or Immunization Record is required, a hard copy must be submitted by mail. Incomplete registrations may cause a delay in registration. Contact the applicable campus if you are unsure of which forms to send.
Yes. The Open SUNY helpdesk is available throughout the Fall and Spring semesters
seven days a week according to the following schedule (Eastern Standard Time):
- Monday - Thursday, 8 AM - 9 PM
- Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM
- Saturday, 10 AM - 5 PM
- Sunday, 1 PM - 9 PM
Open SUNY uses multiple servers in multiple locations. All servers"replicate" to each other so that every server is a mirror of the other ones. This means that all courses are on all servers at all times. If a server goes down (intentionally or otherwise) faculty and students can continue to teach and learn by accessing their course on another server. Students with difficulties getting into their courses, sending assignments, requesting a password or other technical support issues can also contact the Open SUNY HelpDesk by phone at 1-844-673-6786 (1-844-OPENSUNY), option 1 during the above schedule or by email at helpdesk@OpenSUNY.suny.edu.
If you have taken a course on Blackboard before, you may have changed your password after logging on. If you do not remember your password you can find the "Forgotten Password" link on the login page which will bring you to the self-service page to help you rest your password. If you are still having problems with your login, please contact the Open SUNY HelpDesk at 1-844-673-6786 (1-844-OPENSUNY) or email them at helpdesk@OpenSUNY.suny.edu.
If you are looking to register for a course, whether you are a Farmingdale State College student or a visiting student, you can find information on the Registrar's Office.