Wind Turbine Technical Training
*Students are no longer being accepted for this training*
General Electric Renewable Energy is excited to be partnering with Farmingdale State College to provide a 5-week Wind Turbine Technical Training opportunity. Participants will learn basic technical skills with the potential to lead to a career in wind energy or as a wind turbine technician.
According to the US Department of Labor, Wind Turbine Technician is one of the fastest growing careers in the country. As the leading manufacturer of onshore wind turbines in the US as well as a leader in the growing US offshore wind space, GE has trained thousands of wind turbine technicians and is proud to partner with Farmingdale State College on this ground-breaking initiative to train the people who will grow renewable energy options in New York and beyond in the decades to come. Participants will learn technical wind turbine skills during a hands-on intensive training opportunity with content from GE including:
- Wind turbine operation and maintenance
- Hands-on technical training associated with motor components and controls
- A focus on safety, hand tools, and test equipment
Summer 2021 Course Details
- Session 1: June 7 – July 9, 2021 OR
- Session 2: July 5 – August 6, 2021
- First week of the program may be attended virtually or attended on Farmingdale State
College’s campus. First week sessions are held from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- During the remainder of the training (weeks 2-5), participants will travel via the Long Island Railroad and Amtrak to Niskayuna, NY each Monday morning and return home each Friday evening.
- No fees or tuition
- Travel expenses including hotel and meals are provided.
- Interest in the technical support of wind turbines
- Commitment to the entire 5 week program
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum age - 18
- Ability and willingness to possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Ability and willingness to climb towers up to 300 feet
- Ability to lift and manage 50 pounds
- Ability to read and follow technical manuals, procedures and regulations
- Additional screening may be required.