High School students in classrooms.

UHS Students & Parents

The University in the High School (UHS) is meant to help bridge the gap between high school and college. 

UHS started in 1998 with one high school, and has grown consistently over the years. Farmingdale State College (FSC) now has partnerships with over 100 high schools through the UHS Program! Over 6,600 students received FSC college credit through UHS in the 2021-22 school year.

FSC was awarded accreditation by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP) in May 2020. This means that FSC has met the nation’s most rigorous standard in concurrent enrollment program development, management, and evaluation across multiple, multifaceted program areas. NACEP accreditation distinguishes UHS as one of the nation’s leading concurrent enrollment programs. 



Visit NACEP to Learn more

As a UHS student:

▪ You can earn college credits while in high school.
▪ College credits earned are represented on an FSC transcript and include a GPA.
▪ You may accelerate degree completion and lower the overall cost of college.
▪ Courses may be easily transferable to other colleges and universities.
▪ Have access to FSC facilities such as libraries, and FSC-sponsored events. 

Please take a look at our student handbook below for more detailed information regarding the UHS program. 

Find the specific guidelines in the UHS Student Handbook: UHS Student Handbook (2023-24) 

If you attend another college, you must send an official transcript from FSC. Your high school transcript will not be sufficient. The other college may evaluate your FSC transcript and grant you transfer credit for the course(s). Upon successful completion of a course, a student may request a transcript from Farmingdale. Acceptance by other SUNY schools is typical. While no guarantee can be offered for all American colleges and universities, we have found that such credits earned with a grade of C or better are accepted by a broad range of public and private institutions.

You will need to request a transcript to send on your behalf. Here is the link to request a transcript of any UHS concurrent enrollment courses you took while in high school:

Click Here to Request a Transcript  

Unofficial transcripts are designed for a student’s personal record. Official transcripts are sealed transcripts sent directly to school(s) of their choosing.

When you click the link, it mentions, if you do not remember your RAM ID, enter your social security number. The registrar will be able to find your record using the other information you fill in.

If your higher education institution requests to see a course syllabus, kindly email your request to the UHS Office - UHSoffice@farmingdale.edu - In your email, you must include the following: 

  • Student’s First and Last Name
  • High School Attended
  • Course Code and Title (example: BUS 101 - Accounting)
  • Instructor’s Name
  • Semester and Year the Course was Taken (example: Spring 2023) 

A database compiled by researchers at the University of Connecticut allows you to search college credit transfer information for over 900 colleges and universities, learn about their credit transfer/equivalency policies, and see a 1-5 star ranking of credit transfer likelihood at each institution:

The UConn transfer database is a starting point for your credit transfer research. Consult individual college and university websites for the most up-to-date and specific information on course credit transfer and equivalency policies.

Attending Farmingdale State College? Your grades are already here. Let your advisor know at your first advisement appointment.
Not Attending Farmingdale State College?
Request your transcripts to be sent to the college of your choice. They are not automatically sent once you complete the program.


Since UHS courses are not categorized as tuition, enrollment does not impact future Financial Aid. Farmingdale State College counts them as fees; therefore, they are ineligible for a 1098-T or any other tax form.

As a college student, policies may be very different than when you were in high school. Be sure to take the time to review FSC’s Conduct Policies. 

Policy Statement

Each member of the Farmingdale State College campus community is expected to maintain academic integrity. Farmingdale State College has developed regulations concerning academic dishonesty and integrity to protect all students and to maintain an ethical academic environment. This includes prohibiting any form of academic dishonesty as outlined below.

Academic dishonesty cannot be condoned or tolerated in a college community. Such behavior is considered a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and students found guilty of committing an intentional act of fraud, cheating or plagiarizing will be disciplined and face penalties.

The College regards academic dishonesty as an intentional act of fraud, in which a student seeks to claim credit for the work or efforts of another individual without correct documentation, or uses unauthorized, undocumented or fabricated information in any academic exercise.

The College also considers academic dishonesty to include forging of academic documents, intentionally impeding or damaging the academic work of others, or assisting other students in acts of dishonesty. Academic dishonesty is divided into four categories which are defined as follows:

  • Cheating: Intentionally using or attempting to use unauthorized materials (including all electronic devices), information or study aids in any academic exercise.
  • Fabrication: Unauthorized falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise.
  • Facilitating Academic Dishonesty: Knowingly helping someone commit an act of academic dishonesty.
  • Plagiarism: Intentionally representing the content (e.g., words, images, sounds, etc.) design, or ideas of another as one’s own in any academic exercise. This includes content, design, or ideas in either print or electronic format.

Academic dishonesty is morally wrong, and such behavior interferes with learning and intellectual development. Therefore, all members of the campus community have the responsibility to prevent dishonesty, protect honest students, and enforce campus policies. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:

faculty members have the responsibility to establish standards of academic integrity and disciplinary policies in cases of academic dishonesty (consistent with the standards and policies of the College)and to include a statement of those standards on their course syllabi.
students have the responsibility to abstain from academic dishonesty or facilitating the dishonest behavior of others.
Violation of the academic integrity policy is strictly prohibited and may result in a disciplinary action ranging from a warning letter to probation, suspension, or dismissal from the College with a permanent transcript notation.

Visit the Greenly Library Webpage for tools and resources to help with citations.


High School vs. College

Moving from high school to college means that there are new things you should become familiar with. The following information below to help you transition into college life and succeed in this new adventure.



Important College Terms 

Navigate the indicate world of college terms with ease using our comprehensive guide below:

Academic Standing: A student’s status based on grades. To be in “good” academic standing and advance toward graduation, a student must maintain a grade average of C or better.

Academic Warning: AW is an official status assigned to freshmen who struggle in their first semester at FSC and earn a semester GPA below the required 2.0.  First-year students are placed on Academic Warning due to their less than satisfactory academic performance.  They are required to meet with their assigned AAIC or faculty advisor prior to the start of the spring semester in order to complete an “Action Plan for Academic Success” and work with the advisor so that their grades and academic performance will improve in their second semester at FSC.  AW is noted on the student’s transcript.

Advisement: The important process in which a student meets individually with an academic advisor or faculty advisor to review courses completed towards an intended degree program, select courses to be completed in the future, and understand college policies and procedures.  All students should plan to meet with an advisor each semester.

Alumni: Graduates from an institution, such as Farmingdale State College.

Associate Degree: The Associate Degree is granted upon completion of a program of at least two, but less than four years of college work.

Bachelor's Degree: The Bachelor’s Degree is the undergraduate degree offered by four-year colleges and universities (Minimum of 120 credits). 

Brightspace: An on-line course management system where professors post information and assignments for on-line, hybrid, & face-to-face courses.

Credit Hours: Courses taken in college are measured in terms of credit hours. To earn one credit hour, a student must satisfactorily complete one 50- minute session of classroom instruction per week for a semester of not less than 15 weeks. Most courses carry 3 credit hours. Some may carry more credit hours (e.g., labs in Math, Engineering or the Sciences).

Cumulative Credits: The number of credits a student has earned.

Curriculum: A curriculum is composed of those courses prescribed or outlined by the College for completion of a program of study leading to a degree or certificate.

Discipline: A subject or field of study such as “English”, “Mechanical Engineering”, “Nursing.”
Early Warning: A notice sent early each semester to students whose professors report that they are performing at less than a “C” grade level.  

Elective: Beyond major and General Education courses, students may take elective courses to explore their interests.

Financial Aid: Federal and state grants & loans allotted to students based on financial need. Several factors determine a student’s eligibility. All full-time students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits in order to qualify for and keep their financial aid.  Part time students should consult with a Financial Aid Advisor. 

Grade Point Average (GPA): To figure a GPA, simply multiply the number of hours a course is worth by the number of points for the letter grade, then add up the totals for each course and divide by the number of credit hours. The result is the grade point average.


Advising Hold: speak to an Academic Advisor for removal of this hold.
Business Hold: Money is owed to the college and this hold can only be removed by the Student Accounts.
Infirmary Hold: Students are missing medical documentation. Hold can be removed by Health & Wellness.
Library Hold: students may owe $2.00 or more in late fines or lost book charges. 
Traffic Hold: Campus Police will need to remove this hold. (This generally means that you have a ticket).
Hybrid: A course where instruction is split between face-to-face meetings on campus and online learning. 

Incomplete: Temporary grade (I) given if unusual circumstances prevent a student from completing all the requirements for a course. Student has 30 days from beginning of the following semester to complete and submit work or “I” turns to “F.” Incomplete is given at the discretion of the instructor.

Major: Subject or course of study in which a student concentrate. Usually requires a minimum of 30 credits.

Matriculation/Non-Matriculation: A matriculated student is one who has been officially accepted into a degree or certificate program and is making satisfactory progress.  
A non-matriculated student is one who has not been accepted into a degree or certificate program.

Minor: Subject or course of study that is supplemental to the principal course of study or major. Usually requires 15-21 credits. Optional.

OASIS: (Online Administrative Student Information System) is an online portal where students can find course offerings, register for classes, review grades & college transcripts, and obtain financial aid information.

Registration: The process of enrolling in classes for a future academic semester or session.

Registrar: The registrar is responsible for the maintenance of all academic records.

Syllabus: A document that outlines the important information about a course. Written by the professor or instructor, it includes important dates, assignments, expectations, and policies specific to that course.

Transcript: A permanent academic record of a student. It shows courses taken, grades received, academic status and honors received.

UHS Instructor: High school teacher that has been approved by FSC academic department that offers the course. Your UHS instructor is your high school teacher, teaching your UHS course. 

Withdrawal: Matriculated students can officially withdraw from a class within the first 9 weeks of a semester by completing a withdrawal form available in the Registrar’s Office. Instructor’s signature is required, and a “W” will appear on the student’s transcript.

Course Code Designators 

A course code designator serves as a unique identifier for academic courses, facilitating organization and enrollment within educational institutions. 


The following is the official College grading system:

To determine the cumulative grade point average, multiply the achievement point value of each grade by the credits designated for each subject. Then divide the total achievement points by the number of credits carried.  

There is a feature within DegreeWorks that calculates your current GPA automatically for you. It can also help you set a goal or plan to achieve a desired GPA. Please login to DegreeWorks and click the “GPA Calculator” tab. 


Only courses and grades earned at Farmingdale State College are considered in the generation of grade-point averages for all students.

  • A student must attain a 2.0 cumulative GPA in order to qualify for graduation.
  • If, at the end of any semester, a student falls below a 2.0 or does poorly in a major course (please see specific program requirements), the student may be placed on academic warning, probation or be considered for dismissal, depending on the extent of the deficiency.
  • On the recommendation of the Department Chair, a student may be required to carry a reduced schedule to aid the student in their success and get back on track.

Students Attending FSC After High School (degree seeking) 

As a UHS student, we hope you will consider applying to Farmingdale State College for your undergraduate education. In order to apply, please visit farmingdale.edu/apply to complete either the SUNY application or Common Application. Standardized tests are optional through the Spring 2024 semester and we encourage you to send two letters of recommendation along with your high school transcript. 

If you attend FSC after high school, tell your Academic Advisor at your first registration meeting that you already have FSC credit through the University in the High School program.

university in the high school




Francine Federman, PhD
Assistant Dean


Laura McMullin
Assistant Director


V. Patty McCormick
Program Coordinator


Jennifer Dalton
Support Specialist


Michele Holden
Administrative Staff Assistant II 

Last Modified 3/11/24