Summer Financial Aid Process

Federal and State Financial Aid is available to students who will be enrolled in a matriculated program at Farmingdale State College during the Summer term. Student must be enrolled in at least six credits to receive student loans or College Work-Study. Only courses that apply toward the current program can count toward your enrolled credits.


If Your Enrollment Status Changes During The Summer Session(S) You Must Contact Financial Aid As This May Change Your Aid Eligibility.

Withdrawing From All Courses Within A Summer Session

Federal Aid funds are awarded under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire period for which you have received federal financial aid. If you withdraw, you may no longer be eligible for the entire amount of federal aid you were originally offered and received. A calculation is required to determine the percentage of aid you are eligible to maintain. Some of the funds you received may need to be returned to the federal government because you are no longer eligible for them. This calculation is known as a “Return of Title IV (Federal Aid) calculation.”

You are considered to have withdrawn from summer and may be subject to a Return of Title IV (Federal Aid) calculation and owe a balance to the College if:

  • After beginning attendance, you cease to attend or you fail to begin a course you are scheduled to attend, and
  • When you ceased to attend or failed to begin attendance in a course you are scheduled to attend, you were not enrolled in any other courses, and
  • You did not confirm, in writing, attendance in another course in a session beginning later in the summer term.

If the first two statements are true and you do not wish to be considered withdrawn from summer and subject to a Return of Title IV calculation, you must complete and submit the Intent to Return Form to the Office of Financial Aid at the time of withdrawal. If you fail to begin the later course, you will be considered withdrawn as of the original /initial withdrawal date and subject to a Return of Title IV calculation and may owe a balance to the College.

Summer Aid Programs

Pell Grant

Year-Round Pell

Beginning in the 2017-18 year, you can receive 150% of your yearly Pell Grant award if you attend more than two terms. You must, however, be enrolled in at least 6 credits which apply toward your academic program in the term which brings your award over 100%. (We will first award you any unused Pell Grant funds from the prior year before using your upcoming new year funds.)

TAP GRANT - We do not encourage use of TAP during the Summer since TAP eligibility is limited to eight (8) undergraduate semesters (10 for EOP students.) Therefore, receipt of a TAP award during the summer may result in the reduction or elimination of TAP during a subsequent regular semester.

  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours during the Summer term and meet New York State income guidelines.
  • Add Summer term to your TAP application at
  • You must have accrued 24 credit hours in the previous two consecutive semesters and be full-time in prior Spring term.


Students wishing to apply for Summer College Work-Study or Stafford Direct Student Loans must complete the upcoming new year’s FAFSA and complete and submit the Farmingdale State College Summer Financial Aid Application to the Office of Financial Aid, Laffin Hall, Room 324.

Stafford Direct Student Loans (Subsidized And Unsubsidized)

  • You must be enrolled a minimum of 6 credit hours during the Summer term.
  • We will divide your yearly maximum loan eligibility by the number of semesters you plan to be in attendance at Farmingdale during the upcoming new year.
  • Receipt of Stafford Direct Loans in Summer will decrease the amount available during the subsequent Fall/Spring semesters. Federal Regulations allow an annual 12-month maximum combined loan limit depending on your year in college. Loan limits are as follows:
    • Freshmen (0-29.99 earned credits)        $5,500 (up to $3500 subsidized)
    • Sophomore (30-59.99 earned credits)    $6,500 (up to $4500 subsidized)
    • Bachelor Degree seeking students with at least 60 earned credits (Junior & Senior) $7,500 (up to $5500 subsidized)

Federal College Work Study

Last Modified 4/20/22