Grants - Financial Aid


Grants are funds that are provided by federal and state agencies. Grants do not have to be repaid.
The FAFSA must be completed to receive grants.

Federal Pell Grant

The federal government awards Pell Grants to those students who are found eligible after completing the FAFSA. Pell Grants are not available to students who have already completed a Bachelor’s degree. The amount is determined according to eligibility and the number of hours in which you are enrolled. The maximum award is $6,495 for (2021-22) and $6,895 for (2022-23) per year.

Farmingdale State College credits the funds to your account. If and when a student’s tuition account becomes overpaid with loans and grants, a refund will be issued.

Year-Round Pell

Beginning in the 2017-18 year, a student can now receive 150% of their yearly Pell Grant award if they attend more than two terms. They must, however, be enrolled in at least 6 credits which apply toward their academic program in the term which brings the award over 100%.

Pell Recalculation Policy

Schools must recalculate Pell Grants based on the number of credits enrolled in at a prescribed Pell Recalculation Date. We will review enrollment at the end of the drop/add period of each Part of term (session) within a semester and including the Winter term as a Part of Term for the Spring semester. A Pell Grant may be reduced or increased based on changes in enrollment.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is a federal grant administered by the College. Students will need to complete the FAFSA to determine eligibility. Students must be Pell Grant recipients to be eligible for SEOG.  Early application is critical in determining eligibility for this grant. SEOG awards range from 100 to 3000 depending on cost of attendance and availability of funds. If you are not enrolled full-time your award may be reduced or cancelled. 

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

The TAP award is a state grant that is based on prior year net taxable income. The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation administers TAP for New York State residents who are enrolled full time. The Express TAP Application (ETA) is available online at A FAFSA must be submitted before applying for TAP. More information is available at

Please visit the Degree Works and Financial Aid Applicable credits tab  click on to learn more about DegreeWorks and applicable credits requirements.

TAP awards are not official, however, until the Certifying Officer has verified that all other eligibility requirements are met. Please click on the Academic Standards tab  or click to learn more about academic eligibility requirements for TAP.

Part-Time TAP Program

The part-time TAP is a grant for eligible New York residents attending in-state institutions on a part-time basis. Eligibility is based on the prior years net taxable income. Part-Time TAP is not the same as Aid for Part-Time Study. The Express TAP Application (ETA) is available online at The FAFSA must be submitted before applying for part-time TAP. More information is available at

Aid for Part-Time Study

The Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) grant is for eligible, U.S citizens and legal New York residents enrolled part-time, between 3 and 11 credit hours per semester. Eligibility is based on the prior years net taxable income. To apply, students should obtain an APTS application from the FSC Office of Financial Aid. Since funds are limited, students should complete the application and return it as early as possible for processing. More information is available at

State University Supplemental Tuition Award (SUSTA)

SUSTA is a state grant that is based on a full time student’s TAP grant eligibility and financial need. Amount of awards can range up to 0 per academic year.

SUNY Tuition Credit (SUTC)

The SUNY Tuition Credit is a grant for full time students who are also TAP grant recipients to help meet the cost of SUNY tuition.

Excelsior Scholarship and Excelsior Tuition Credit

Recipients of the Excelsior Scholarship may receive up to 5,500 or actual tuition, whichever is less. The maximum Excelsior Scholarship will be reduced by the amount of certain other student financial aid awards which an applicant has or will receive for the academic year including a New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award and/or federal Pell grant.

A supplemental Excelsior Tuition Credit award will be added to the Excelsior Scholarship if the tuition is not fully covered by the Excelsior Scholarship, TAP, Pell and all other grants and scholarships.

THEDREAM.US Scholarship

THEDREAM.US Scholarship is the nation’s largest scholarship program for undocumented immigrant youth.  In 2021, TheDream.US partnered with Farmingdale State College to provide its undocumented students’ the opportunity to attend.  TheDream.US has two types of Scholarships. One for high school or GED graduates and another one for community college graduates.  For more information, visit the THEDREAM.US page

Children of Fallen Heroes

Under this scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made. To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education (full or part-time) at the time of his or her parent's or guardian's death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.
All Title IV aid awarded to such eligible students must be based on an EFC of zero without regard to the student's calculated EFC. Thus, the student is eligible for the maximum Pell Grant for his or her enrollment status and cost of attendance. In addition, the student's eligibility for Direct Loans and for Campus-Based program aid must be based on an EFC of zero.

Veterans Benefits

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI BILL® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individual's discharges with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI BILL®.
If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.
If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty, Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post 9/11 GI BILL® benefits to you.

Last Modified 7/7/22