General Information & Publications
- Business Basics: Starting Off On The RIght Path
- Business Plan Guide
- New York State Small Business Development Centers : External linkThe New York State SBDC website has links to SBDC locations throughout New York, training events sponsored by SBDCs, and useful resources.
- U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) External link: The U. S. Small Business Administration's mission is to maintain and strengthen the nation's economy by aiding, counseling, assisting, and protecting the interests of small businesses and by helping families and businesses recover from national disasters. This website provides an abundance of information for the small business entrepreneur.
- New York Loves Small Business (sponsored by Empire State Development) External link: Sponsored by Empire State Development, this is "New York State's one-stop shop for small businesses looking to start or expand in our State."
- The U. S. Government's Official Web Portal for Businesses External link: Has links to many online services, plus information on contracting with the government, laws and regulations, licenses, taxes, and startup business tools.
Associations, Chambers, and Affiliates
- Farmingdale State's Institute for Networking Systems Technology (INSTEP) External link: INSTEP offers credit and non-credit courses in Networking Technologies, including Cisco Academy courses. INSTEP can also arrange custom training sessions for businesses.
- Hauppauge Industrial Association (HIA) External link: The Hauppauge Industrial Association is a business organization that focuses on the economic health and well-being of its member companies and that of the entire Long Island business community. HIA provides services and programs focusing on international trade, human resources, business development, government affairs, manufacturing, technology, environment, education, engineering, transportation, energy and much more. HIA offers many networking opportunities.
- Long Island African American Chamber of Commerce, Inc (LIAACC) External link: The Long Island African American Chamber of Commerce, Inc. is a leading supporter of small business owners in the area of advocacy, access to capital, technical assistance, education, and capacity building. LIAACC serves the counties of Kings, Nassau, Queens, and Suffolk. LIAACC holds a variety of Business2Business networking events throughout the year.
- Long Island Association, Inc. (LIA) External link: The Long Island Association's mission is to advocate for policies, programs and projects that benefit Long Island and to support economic development and infrastructure investments on Long Island in order to create jobs, spur private investment, reduce the property tax burden, improve the overall business climate in our region and create better access to and from New York City, all of which will improve the local economy and strengthen our business community.
- Long Island Development Center (LIDC) External link: Long Island Development Corporation is a not-for-profit, regional economic development corporation that makes long term loans to small businesses. LIDC's mission is to encourage economic stability and growth in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. LIDC's website has a large number of informative links.
- Long Island Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Inc. (LIHCC) External link: The Long Island Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (LIHCC) is a not-for-profit corporation serving the business communities of Nassau and Suffolk Counties. The LIHCC was founded in 1988 to advance the commercial, financial, industrial and civic interests of the Hispanic community on Long Island.
- Melville Chamber of Commerce External link: The Melville Chamber of Commerce will provide networking opportunities, business to business services and many other programs to create and stimulate business opportunities. The Chamber will foster a stronger and more vital business environment not only in our area but throughout Long Island. We will work together with our business leaders, community leaders, professional leaders, and our Elected Officials to continue to improve the quality of life for both our business community and our residents.
Certifying your business can be a complicated process. The SBDC can help assist you in applying and submitting your application(s). Applying for one or more of these certifications can fast track you to other certifications. Contact the SBDC for assistance and more information.
- State External link
- NYC External link
- Port Authority NY/NJ External link
- Federal External link
- Nassau County External link
- Suffolk County External link
- NY State Veteran External link
- WBENC : External linkWoman owned businesses seeking ways to promote your company to major corporations? WBENC certification is recognized by more than 1000 corporations who are looking to do business with certified woman business enterprises.
- Guide to Minority and Women Business Enterprise Certificate Application : External linkIf your business has been running for >1 year and is at least 51% minority or woman owned, you may qualify for state certification. A certification can help give your business an advantage when bidding on government and procurement contracts.
- Official Website of Nassau County : External linkAmong other information, this website includes links to the Nassau County Clerk's Office External linkand current Request for Proposals (RFPs). The County Clerk's website now has a FAQ on forming a business in Nassau County, as well as printable business forms that can be filed at the Nassau County Clerk's office.
- Suffolk County Government : External linkProvides information for Suffolk County residents, including a link to the Suffolk County Clerk's Office External link. The Suffolk County Clerk's website now allows online searches of Suffolk County business certificate and corporation records. Under Departments at the bottom of the page, click on Business Certificates for information on filing a business certificate in Suffolk County.
- New York State Department of State : External linkClick on the Corporations link for FAQs, filing information, searchable Corporation and Business Entity Database, and more about owning a corporation in New York State.
- Entrepreneur.com : External linkContains information on e-business essentials, including designing and marketing your site, legal issues, credit card usage, and more.
- SBDCNET E-Commerce Guide External link: Addresses numerous questions and concerns of the e-entrepreneur. Includes information on or links to e-commerce basics, business strategy, building a website, security, taxes, marketing, and more.
- International Trade Desk External link: This site has a number of links and references for the business owner interested in exporting.
- Franchise Registry External link: In a major effort to help small business owners, the U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has introduced a new Franchise Registry that will expedite the processing of loans to small business franchisees. The Registry lists names of franchise companies whose franchisees enjoy the benefits of a streamlined review process for SBA loan applications.
- See our Grants Information page.
- New York State Insurance Fund External link: The New York State Insurance Fund is an governmental insurance carrier that provides workers' compensation and disability benefits for employers in New York State. NYSIF is financially self-supporting and competes with private insurance carriers.
- NY State Department of Health– Health Insurance information External link: The New York State Department of Health is the department of the New York state government responsible for public health. It is headed by Health Commissioner Howard A. Zucker, M.D., J.D., who was appointed by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and confirmed by the State Senate on May 5, 2015.
- Constant Contact : External linkConstant Contact®, Inc. helps small businesses, associations, and nonprofits connect with their customers, clients, and members. Launched in 1998, Constant Contact champions the needs of small organizations and provides them with an easy and affordable way to build successful, lasting customer relationships. Constant Contact's leading email marketing, online survey, and event marketing tools help all types of small businesses and organizations create professional-looking email newsletters and insightful online surveys and begin a dialogue with their customers. SBDC clients receive up to a 25% discount.
Permits & Licenses
- Internal Revenue Service : External linkGeneral Information: 800-829-1040; Forms/Publications: 800-829-3676.
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance External link
- Social Security Administration : External linkGeneral Information: 800-772-1213; Employer Reporting Branch: 800-772-6270; OWRS Technical Assistance: 888-772-2970; Employee Verification Service: 410-965-7140
- International Trademark Association (INTA) : External linkA not-for-profit organization, INTA's mission is to support the advancement of trademarks and related intellectual property. Look in the Information Center for information on the different types of trademarks, proper usage, registering trademarks, and more.
- Suffolk County Women's Business Enterprise Coalition (SCWBEC) : External linkSCWBEC is a not-for-profit 501 (C) 3 supported through fundraising events and sponsorships. Members receive a monthly newsletter and have many opportunities to promote their business through sponsorship, networking and membership meetings.
- Women Economic Developers of Long Island (WEDLI) : External linkWEDLI is a unique and specialized organization whose membership is selected from top level executives in the fields of banking, finance, accounting, commercial real estate, real estate development, marketing, government, and law. WEDLI fills a professional need for women in the various fields of economic development so that a forum for interaction exists where business contacts can build and advance the objectives of a prosperous and growing Long Island. WEDLI’s continuing goal is to educate and inform the general public.
- U. S. Women's Chamber of Commerce (USWCC) : External linkThrough a national network of affiliate chambers, the USWCC™ is an organization creating economic and leadership opportunities for women by building a strong community voice and providing programs and benefits to support the growth of its members.
Still could use some help? Email us and we will get back to you shortly.