The Property Control Department is dedicated to assisting the campus in many areas. We assign asset numbered decals for equipment with a purchase price of $5,000 and above. All such assets issued are tracked through the Property Control System (PCS). We will be sending out periodic inventory lists of all property located in each department to verify its location, and request certification by the department head that the equipment is in usable condition and that the department acknowledges having custody of the equipment. Property Control will also conduct annual physical inspection of assets recorded in PCS.
All new equipment (property) refers to procured or manufactured equipment that is
self-contained, durable, and has an expected service life of two or more years with
a purchase price of $5,000 and above. New equipment will be issued an asset numbered
decal/tag accordingly. Please contact the Property Control/Inventory Control Department.
Surplus Equipment - Procedures
- Farmingdale State College
- "Report of Surplus Property" Form is to be completed by the department who needs to dispose of a surplus asset and submits the form to the attention of the Property Control Clerk.
- If the equipment being surplussed contains a hard drive (computer, laptop, tablet, copier, fax, etc.) then the Information Technology Department must be contacted ext. 2167 prior to the removal of the piece of equipment from your department. IT will determine if the hard drive needs to be removed and destroyed before the property can leave the department. IT will place a tag on the piece of equipment noting that the hard drive has been removed and destroyed allowing the Moving & Trucking department to remove the piece of equipment.
- The Property Control Clerk forwards a copy of the form to the Moving & Trucking Department who in turn picks up the surplus asset and returns the completed form indicating its disposition to the Property Control Clerk. The Clerk removes the item from the Property Control System and adjusts the records as needed. If the asset is under the $5,000 value the adjustment is made into the Excel Spreadsheet. The following Monday of each week, the Property Control Clerk verifies that the equipment has been properly recorded in the Property Control System or Excel Spreadsheet.
- When a requesting department wishes to transfer any assets from one department to a different department or one building to another, the same procedure A and B above is to be followed by completing a "Equipment Transfer" Form in place of a "Surplus Property" Form.
- Research Foundation
- A "Property Status Change Request" Form (see sample) is required whenever any Research Foundation equipment is to be surplused or transferred, this form is obtainable from the Research Foundation office
- A staff member from the Research Foundation office forwards the form with instructions to the requesting department. Once the form is completed, the department returns the form to Research Foundation for approval. Copies of the approved form are sent to Moving & Trucking and the Property Control Department.
- The same procedure is to be followed as above if the piece of equipment contains a hard drive (1. Farmingdale State, B.)
Upon completion of the request form instructions, Moving & Trucking signs the form, one copy to Property Control Clerk and one copy to Research Foundation. The Property Control Clerk removes the item from the Property Control System if $5,000 and over, if the asset is under $5,000, the adjustment is made into the Excel Spreadsheet. The following Monday the Property Control Clerk verifies that the equipment has been properly recorded in the Property Control System Records or Excel Spreadsheet.
Surplus Property Reusable Property
Surplus Property deals with the removal of unwanted equipment and furnishings (Reusable equipment and furnishings) from many departments and the redistribution of those items to other departments that can use them. Property Control provides a service to all departments on campus coordinating the pick ups and re-distribution of surplus equipment and furniture throughout Farmingdale State as well as other "State" agencies. What happens during or after the removal process is the distribution of "re-usable" equipment. There are many departments in need of various pieces of equipment, and/or furnishings for their areas. The departments may contact property control and we will assist you in tracking down a piece of equipment/furniture needed by your department. Many times we are able to provide what is needed immediately, other times we will take the request and as the equipment/furnishings are received, we will contact you to verify if you are still in need. If so, we will coordinate delivery.
If you need to surplus any equipment, just complete the surplus form and mail it to Property Control in the Service Bldg. All equipment leaving a department requires completing the "Surplus form" or the "Transfer form” to ensure removal from your department inventory.
Equipment/Furnishings: chairs, computers, copiers, desks, fax machines, filing cabinets, etc.
Please have all items emptied prior to removal, to ensure safety for both parties.
- Surplus Form
- Transfer Form
Equipment Disposals Unusable Equipment
Equipment disposal deals with the removal of equipment deemed unusable. Use the Equipment Disposal Form especially designed for this designation.
If the piece of equipment is a computer of some sort, a staff member from the Information Technology Department must deem the computer unusable before it is disposed of. Please contact the Information Technology Department at ext. 2167. If they declare it unusable, then they must sign off on the Disposal Form. If it can be used or salvaged, then it must be surplussed.
The same procedure must be followed for disposal of equipment with hard drives as surplussing equipment with hard drives (see above).
Any other piece of equipment that is deemed unusable, the department head must sign off on the Disposal Form that they are knowledgeable that this piece of equipment can not be salvaged and is therefore unusable.
There are specific areas of concern for the Property Control Department when dealing with any of the equipment dispositions.
- Disposing of refrigerators
Assuming refrigerators that are being discarded are broken and/or unusable, prior to contacting the Property Control Department, please contact Physical Plant for removal of the Freon in the refrigerator. The physical plant will assist you with a licensed contractor, and the requesting department will be liable for all charges.
- Radioactive equipment and removal of Equipment that has contained or contains Hazardous Material, Radioactive
Material or a Radioactive Sealed Source.
The Report of Surplus Property Form is to be completed by the Department requesting a pick up. The form has Hazard Codes (Radiation, Chemical, Biohazardous and not applicable) on the lower right, for each item being surplussed. If a Department is disposing of an item that qualifies as a hazardous code, they are to contact the Department of Environmental Health & Safety at ext. 2105 and specify what hazardous materials are involved with the piece of equipment.
- Cell phones should be submitted to Physical Plant with the completed Surplus Form indicating they should be recycled.
All other equipment leaving a department also requires completion of the Disposal Form.
Off Campus Use of Farmingdale State Property
The individual’s manager or dean is required to authorize off-campus use of Farmingdale property. It is expected that laptops will be the primary area where property is used off campus. In such instances, the department head should complete the off-campus use form. This form also provides for an authorized signature certifying the equipment was returned in good condition and should also be signed by the department head or their designee.
All new equipment purchased with the proper budget category will be issued a numbered decal/tag and will be included in an annual physical inventory. These numbers represent a tracking system for Property Control, as well as a tracking system for the various auditors when reviewing our "equipment inventory” for the campus. All such assets issued are trackable through the Property Control System (PCS). Property Control may send out periodic inventory lists of all property located in each department to verify its location, and request certification by the department that the equipment is in usable condition and that the department acknowledges having custody of the equipment. Locations and destinations of equipment are essential pieces of information and essential documentation. In order to better serve the campus community, we need your assistance with property documenting the physical location.
Theft of Loss of State Assets
Any loss of assets, including cases of theft or vandalism, should be reported immediately to the Dean, Director, or Department Chair, and the University Police Department. A copy of the police report should be sent to the Property Control Clerk.
When making a report, if at all possible please have the following information available:
- Asset Number (PCS)
- Item Description
- Location (Building, Room)
- Cost (Value)