Mission and Goals
The Medical Laboratory Science Program prepares students with the knowledge, technical skills and problem-solving ability to meet the needs of regional clinical laboratory employers, as well as to continue on further education.
- Graduates will be prepared with the knowledge and technical skills to obtain a NYS license and national certification at the technologist level of practice.
- Graduates will be proficient in performing the full range of clinical laboratory tests in areas such as hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology/immunology, coagulation, molecular, and other emerging diagnostics.
- Graduates will be prepared to play a role in the development and evaluation of test systems and interpret algorithms.
- Graduates will have diverse responsibilities in areas of analysis and clinical decision-making, regulatory compliance with applicable regulations, education, and quality assurance/performance improvement wherever laboratory testing is researched, developed or performed.
- Graduates will possess basic knowledge, skills, and relevant experiences in:
- Communications to enable consultative interactions with members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education;
- Financial, operations, marketing, and human resource management of the clinical laboratory to enable cost-effective, high quality, value-added laboratory services;
- Information management to enable effective, timely, accurate, and cost-effective reporting of laboratory generated information and;
- Research design/practice sufficient to evaluate published studies as an informed consumer.