Announcement: We are currently taking registrations for our upcoming Spring Academies! See Academies page for more details.
STEP is a New York State Education Program that provides academic support services and enrichment activities to students in grade 7-12 who show interest and aptitude in STEM or licensed professions. STEP students acquire the skills necessary for successful entry into college and science, engineering, technology, health-related fields and licensed professions.
STEP offers academic programs, enrichment activities and support services aimed at enhancing the skills and competencies necessary for students in grades 7-12 for entry into college-level programs in Science, Engineering, Technology, Health Sciences and licensed professions.
The academic programs offered by STEP include lab-based instruction in such areas as Mathematics, Biosciences, Physical Sciences, Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Computer Programming and applications, Robotics, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering Technologies, Aviation Management Technology and written communication. The enrichment programs of STEP include college-level courses, in-school tutorials in mathematics and sciences, team work and leadership development opportunities as well as hands-on projects in science and engineering technologies. The support services offered by STEP include academic counseling and advising, college entry test preparation, arrangements for summer internships, field trips to industry sites and academic institutions and opportunities for participation in regional conferences.
- Be enrolled in grade 7-12
- Be a member of a historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged group (African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino/a, Native American/Alaskan Native or any ethnic background and demonstrate economic qualifications through eligibility for free or reduced lunch)
- Have an overall GPA of 80 or "B"
- Be a New State Resident for the past 12 months
Become a Part of STEP
|Do you attend one of our partner districts listed below?
|Fill it our online application!
|Upon receiving your application, we will immediately follow up with your parent/guardian for parental consent and final paperwork requirements. Please have your parent/guardian check personal email for consent form.
|You can expect an acceptance decision from us within 5 business days of receiving ALL of the required paperwork.
STEP Partner Schools
- Copiague High School, Copiague
- Copiague Middle School, Copiague
- Howitt Middle School, Farmingdale
- Farmingdale High School, Farmingdale
- E. W. Miles Middle School, Amityville
- Amityville Memorial High School, Amityville
- Huntington High School, Huntington
- Finley Middle School, Huntington
- Walt Whitman HS, South Huntington
Stimson MS, South Huntington