Foreign Language Proficiency Exam
The Foreign Language Proficiency Exam is offered 3 times per Spring and Fall semester (6 times per year), unless otherwise stated below. The exam is not offered over the Summer or Intersession.
All forms and payments must be received at least one week prior to the exam date in order to be eligible to take the exam.
Please note: there is limited seating. You must fill out the registration form and complete payment before you are confirmed for the exam date and time.
Spring 2023 Exam Dates - TBD. Please check back closer to the beginning of the semester.
EXAMS GIVEN IN: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Mandarin), Ethiopian (Amharic), French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian (Farsi), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Urdu.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION BEFORE TAKING THE EXAM
- This exam is for NATIVE SPEAKERS ONLY! You must be fluent in speaking, reading and writing your language.
- It is highly recommended that every student who is interested in taking this exam make an appointment with the appropriate Modern Languages Department Professor before making payment and signing up for the exam. We suggest this for the student so the professor can evaluate you orally before making a payment.
- The exam consists of written translation and an essay. There will be no verbal component.
- The exam can only be taken one time and the grade is Pass/Fail. This will not affect you GPA either way. A failing grade will not be posted.
- Credit will ONLY be posted to the Gen Ed Foreign Language requirement. Credit cannot be used toward an elective.
- This is a proctored exam so you must be able to come to campus. Only if you have class during the examination time can other arrangements be made.
- The fee is $120 payable through Student Accounts.
Please ask all questions you may have before registering to take the exam
Registration Form - Please visit Memorial Hall Room 200 to fill out the credit-by-evaluation form. Please follow all of the directions below or your application will not be accepted.
- The justification line on the form should include your language and that you are fluent reading and writing your language. The date you want to take the exam should be stated on this line as well.
Make Payment/Student Accounts - $120.
- Complete and share the registration form with the Modern Languages Department before making payment. DO NOT make payment without the approved and signed registration form.