For more information about satisfying the Applied Learning graduation requirement, contact a Nexus Center counselor:
Applied Learning Graduation Requirement
All baccalaureate program students are required to fulfill the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement. Ten hours of approved Applied Learning activity is the minimum for meeting the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement.
What is Applied Learning?
Knowledge and skills learned in the classroom and then applied in a hands-on, real-world environment is what Applied Learning is all about.
Activities Satisfying the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement
IMPORTANT NOTE: Many activities on campus may involve applied learning. However, only activities that have been formally approved by the Applied Learning Review Board at FSC will satisfy the graduation requirement. Courses and Co-curricular Activities must be designated as "Applied Learning" to satisfy the graduation requirement. Students should confirm the formal applied learning designation prior to participating for graduation credit.
- Applied Learning Course (credit bearing): A course designated as a full Applied Learning Course requires that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of applied activity.
- Applied Learning Enhanced Course (credit bearing): A course designated as an Applied Learning Enhanced course requires a minimum of 5 hours of applied activity.
- Co-curricular Activity (non-credit bearing): Co-curricular Activities are pursued in addition to the normal course of study. Only approved Co-curricular Activities will satisfy the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement. Successful completion of Co-curricular Activities will count towards the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement based on the number of hours earned. Ten hours of approved Applied Learning activity is the minimum for meeting the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement.
- Nexus Center Experience (non-credit bearing): A Nexus Center Experience is an Applied Learning experience that is approved through the Nexus Center for Applied Learning & Career Development, for example Nexus Center community service events. Nexus Center Experiences may satisfy the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement in full or part depending on the hours required.
The graduation requirement can be satisfied in any of the following ways:
- Students earn a passing grade in a full Applied Learning course.
- Students earn passing grades in at least two Applied Learning Enhanced courses.
- Students successfully complete a combination of an Applied Learning Enhanced course and at least 5 hours of approved Co-curricular Activities/Nexus Center Experiences.
- Students successfully complete at least 10 hours of approved Co-curricular Activities/Nexus Center Experiences.
How to find opportunities
See FSC Course Listings and review schedule of applied learning courses to identify classes satisfying applied learning. Additional student resources are also available to help you in researching approved applied learning courses.
Axiom is a database used to promote internships and other Applied Learning opportunities.
Opportunities listed in your specific department on Axiom are approved for internship credit and will count towards the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement if completed for academic credit.
NON-CREDIT BUT COUNTS TOWARD FSC APPLIED LEARNING GRADUATION REQUIREMENT:
View and apply to approved Co-curricular Activities and Nexus Center Experiences in the "Applied Learning Co-curricular Activities" unit on the Axiom Database.
If you have further questions about what constitutes an Applied Learning activity or the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement, please schedule a meeting with a Nexus Center counselor BEFORE participating for credit.