Nexus Center Applied Learning Events
Nexus Center Applied Learning Service Event: AHRC 2021 MLK Day of Service Weekend Project (VIRTUAL – AL FULL) - January 15-18, 2021
The Nexus Center will be hosting Virtual Applied Learning Community Service opportunities in partnership with AHRC Nassau, who has partnered with Island Harvest, to provide food aid to families in need throughout Nassau County. The MLK Day of Service will continue beyond that weekend and volunteers, along with adults supported in our agency, will participate in community service activities that address food insecurity on Long Island.
Students who participate in this virtual community service opportunity will be eligible to earn hours towards satisfying the FSC Applied Learning (AL) Graduation Requirement.
Register on Axiom in the "Applied Learning Co-curricular Activities" unit.
Questions? Email Ashley Perrone, Applied Learning Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FSC Nexus Center Virtual Voter Registration Drives:
Thursday, September 17, 2020 from 11 am - 12:30 pm
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 from 11 am - 12:30 pm
FSC Take the Pledge! In honor of Constitution Day (9/17) and National Voter Registration Day (9/22), the Nexus Center, partnering with the FSC Student Chapter of the NAACP, will be hosting a virtual Voter Registration Drive!
Join us in a video event hosted by FSC student leaders who will help you to:
Take the pledge (https://allintovote.org/take-the-pledge) - Make sure you select "Farmingdale State College" to count our college!
Register to vote online and confirm your registration using the link available on the same website (https://allintovote.org/register/).
Learn about how you can actually vote - Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020!
Statement of Non-Partisanship from the ALL IN Challenge: The ALL IN Challenge does not support or oppose candidates for public office or take a stand for or against any political party. We encourage active and informed participation in American democracy.
Nexus Center Virtual Applied Learning Community Service Event: Managing your Mental Health During a Pandemic and Moving Forward: Earn 5 hours towards satisfying the Applied Learning (AL) Graduation Requirement. In partnership with Campus Mental Health Services and VIBS (Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk). Learn ways that you can help the community, along with information on mental health and COVID-19, and for fun, therapeutic activities!Part One: Friday, October 2nd from 11 am - 1:30 pm (Zoom)Part Two: Friday, October 9th from 11 am - 1:30 pm (Zoom)
- Nexus Center Applied Learning Event: Virtual Voter Registration Drive: 9/11/20. Earn 5 hours through this event towards satisfying the Applied Learning (AL) Graduation
Requirement. Looking to help your community and emphasize the importance of voting?
Join the Nexus Center in preparing our VIRTUAL voter registration drive. Help us share
information about voting and support the SUNY community to become registered voters
on SUNY Constitution Day and National Voter Registration Day. By participating, you
will not only help your community and gain great resume experience, but you will guide
others in exercising their right to vote.
- Sherwin-Williams Sales Competition 2020 SUNY Challenge: This SUNY-wide applied learning entrepreneurship competition, sponsored by the Nexus
Center in partnership with Sherwin-Williams, was open to undergraduate students of
all SUNY schools. FSC placed second, with team members Jessica Re (Science, Technology
and Society) and Gary Rettig (Business Management) winning $2,000 and earning Applied
Learning Graduation Credit. They were mentored by Dr. Heather Kirkwood, Assistant
Professor, Business Management.
SUNY Applied Learning Newsletter, The Umbrella - Issue 11, June 2020 (page 15)
- 2019 Innovation Challenge: Organized by the School of Business (special thanks to Dr. Jing Betty Feng), and sponsored by PSEG Long Island, the FSC Nexus Center for Applied Learning & Career Development, and the Board of Innovation, students participated in interdisciplinary teams to compete for cash prizes in an "Ideation" competition to provide innovative solutions.
- Nexus Center Service Day Fall 2019: The Nexus Center and International Education and Programs partnered with Community Legal Advocates of NY to present the FSC Day of Service and Advocacy, an event that addressed current immigration issues and earned student participants credit for the college's Applied Learning Graduation Requirement:
The Campus Times: "Students Tackle Immigration Issues, Earn Credit at Day of Service and Advocacy"
The Campus Times: "Earn Applied Learning Credit at Day of Service and Advocacy"
View and apply to approved Co-curricular Activities and Nexus Center Experiences in the "Applied Learning Co-curricular Activities" unit on the Axiom Database.