Nexus Center Career Services
Schedule an appointment with a Nexus counselor by following the steps outlined below under Career Resources.
Virtual Resume and Cover Letter Review continues to be available through CareerConnect. Submit documents from your CareerConnect home page. Go to "Add a Resume to your Document Folder" > "Add New". Not yet registered for CareerConnect? Sign up from the link provided below under "Schedule An Appointment".
Live Chat is available through CareerConnect, where career counselors are available to answer your quick questions. Find the feature on your CareerConnect dashboard under your avatar/initials in the top right corner of the screen. Go to Help & Feedback > Live Chat Support.
Job and Internship Postings - The CareerConnect job board remains active. Review and apply to opportunities through your CareerConnect homepage.
Email - You can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our goal is to empower students and alumni to explore, define and achieve their academic and post-graduate goals. It is never too early or too late to engage in the career exploration and planning process. Visit our Career Counseling FAQ page to learn about all of the services offered by the Nexus Center.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
- Appointments to meet with Cheryl Stratigos, Career Counselor and Dolores Ciaccio,
Career Development Director, are scheduled through CareerConnect, our online career services platform.
If you are registered with CareerConnect: Sign into your account HERE and choose "Counseling Appointment" from the toolbar at the top of your homepage.
If you are not yet registered with CareerConnect: Click HERE and choose "Sign Up". After completing the registration form, you will receive an email asking you to verify your account information, followed by an email prompting you to set up a password. Once your account is activated, sign in and look for "Counseling Appointment" from the toolbar at the top of your homepage.
FOCUS 2 CAREER ASSESSMENT
- Click the logo above to access Focus 2. Focus 2 is an online career and education planning tool for college students designed to help you make decisions about future career goals and education plans. FOCUS 2 provides four self-assessments to help you identify your top work interests, values, skills, and personality preferences, then explore occupations and compatible major areas of study. Students use FOCUS 2 to help choose or change their major and also to explore and verify their career choices. It is important to meet with your career counselor to discuss your assessment results and next steps in your education and career decision-making process.
- Video Tour of Focus2
- General Chronological Resume
- Job Scan - Use this tool to analyze how well your resume is tailored for a particular job/internship
- For an in-depth career counseling experience which utilizes career assessment instruments
to assist in your choice of academic major or career exploration, you may arrange
an appointment with a Nexus counselor. Working with a Nexus counselor, you will be
able to incorporate the results of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory into your academic and career decision-making process.
Candid Career provides informational video interviews featuring industry professionals. Get the inside scoop on careers as well as advice that will give you an edge in your job search. Search videos by industry, career title, college major or keywords! This is a great way to gather valuable career information to help with your decision-making. Click on the CandidCareer logo to get started, and be sure to watch the "Why Use the Career Center?" video on the CandidCareer.com homepage.
- Industry-Specific Resources
SUNY PROFESSIONAL SKILLS VIDEOS
- SUNY produced an extensive series of short videos on professional skills, including job search essentials and perspectives from employers, available here.
YOUR PROFESSIONAL ONLINE PRESENCE
- Online Reputation Management for College Grads
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist - Page 1
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist - Page 2
LinkedIn Learning offers students, faculty and staff unlimited on-demand access to a full library of online video tutorials on a variety of topics, including technology, software and business skills. You can learn at your own pace and access course content anytime, anywhere - from a computer, mobile device or tablet. Log in here.