FSC Community and Civic Engagement Microcredential
FSC Nexus Center has launched a non-credit/co-curricular microcredential (MC), the FSC Community and Civic Engagement Microcredential. Earners of this MC will be awarded a digital badge of completion by the college and will be able to list this credential on their resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and other career communications to identify to employers that they engaged in Applied Learning experiences with real-world applications concentrated in civic engagement.
- Activities integrate key competencies such as career/self-development, leadership, communication, professionalism, critical thinking, teamwork, equity & inclusion, and use of technology.
- Businesses across a variety of industries are using corporate social responsibility programs to promote civic engagement. By achieving this distinction, students will be able to market themselves to employers as educated, engaged citizens who are prepared to contribute to the public good. This MC aligns with the college’s strategic initiatives, which include promoting civic engagement, sustaining an environment that is inclusive and embraces diversity, and increasing co-curricular activities to support diversity, equity, inclusion, civic responsibility, and student engagement. This MC also reinforces the college’s Carnegie Community Engagement Classification, an elective designation indicating institutional commitment to community engagement.
To earn this MC:
- Participants must complete the application linked. This application must be completed before the completion of the MC activities.
- To achieve the FSC Civic Engagement microcredential, participants will need to be enrolled at FSC and earn a minimum of 20 hours in the following formally approved Applied Learning Co-curricular activities with at least two different Approved Hosts (Nexus Center, Office of Community and Civic Engagement (OCCE) or Research Aligned Mentorship (RAM)). Qualifying AL categories are:
- Nexus Center Internship FULL that involves community engagement as verified by the Nexus Center (not all Nexus Center internships will qualify for the MC);
- Nexus Center Community Service ENHANCED or FULL;
- OCCE Internship FULL;
- OCCE Community Service ENHANCED or FULL;
- OCCE Civic Engagement ENHANCED or FULL;
- OCCE – Newman Civic Fellowship (Civic Engagement FULL);
- RAM Community Service FULL.
3. To search for qualifying activities, see Axiom Applied Learning Co-curricular Activities Unit – eligible activities will note in the title *FSC Community and Civic Engagement MC eligible.
For Questions, contact Nexus Center Applied Learning Coordinator Email