Dr. Matilde Fava Italian Studies Scholarship
This $1000 scholarship is for students who are accepted into the 4-week summer study abroad program to Italy.
Please Apply With an Essay
The essay should be a one-page narrative that paints a picture of who you are as a person. The essay should include your personal history, familial background, intellectual influences, exposure to educational, professional, and cultural opportunities (or lack thereof), and the ways in which these opportunities have impacted you and your personal development.
Do not forget to include, specifically:
- Reasons why you want to go to Italy;
- What you plan to do once you are in Italy;
- Explain how this experience could impact your career and life goals; and
- Explain why you should be awarded the scholarship.
Email your essay, resume, and unofficial transcript to Jeannette Sinnott at Jeannette Sinnott by February 15, 2024.
Students who are eligible to receive the Scholarship must meet the following qualifications:
- Accepted to the 4-week summer study abroad program to Italy organized with the College's Office for International Education and Programs.
- Enrolled in the Italian Studies Minor program or, absent receiving applications from a student enrolled in the Italian Studies Minor, otherwise demonstrating an interest in meaningful studies related to Italian culture and language
- Agree to meet with the Fava family or Department designee, prior to their trip to discuss their curiosity, and interest in what they hope to learn and discover
- Upon return, draft meaningful output suitable for publishing (a report or essay, including a presentation in a public forum) which will be presented by the College annually featuring the Dr. Matilde Fava Scholar in a thought leadership series or College publication.
- Must remain in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of no less than 2.9 as calculated at the end of the academic year leading into the summer study abroad.