How to Apply

The following list will help you organize your application and the supporting documentation required for timely consideration of your application. Please read all the instructions carefully.

  • Academic Records: Official secondary school and post-secondary records must be submitted in original language along with certified translation. Farmingdale requires that documents are translated and evaluated by a member of NACES External link. WES External link is also a preferred evaluation agency. Applications lacking a NACES evaluation will not be reviewed for admission. 
  • English Language Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must submit an official score report from one of the following tests to demonstrate English language proficiency or submit an official transcript from an accredited U.S. college with a grade of C+ or better in a college-level writing course.
Test Minimum Requirement
TOEFL-IBT (internet-based) 74
TOEFL (paper-based) 537
SAT Evidence Based Reading 400
  • SUNY Autobiographical Essay External link: The personal essay is to be written in English by the student.
  • Passport: Photocopy of the passport page that includes your identification photo (U.S. Visa page and home country’s page).

*Indicate on the application your curriculum choice exactly as listed to avoid a delay in processing, which could jeopardize your opportunity for admission. You may apply to only ONE program. The academic year at Farmingdale State College begins in August and ends in May. All programs accept new students for the fall semester.

*Dental Hygiene and Nursing applicants must be U. S. Citizens or Permanent Residents in order to be considered for admission with the exception of the Online RN to BS completion program. Visit the Nursing website for more information.

*Decisions on applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis; therefore, it is to your benefit to mail all materials immediately upon completion, since programs fill up quickly. To ensure adequate time for the processing of International Student applications, please note the Admissions Office must receive the completed applications by June 1 for FALL admissions and November 1 for SPRING admissions.

After Acceptance

Students must meet financial requirements established by the College.  Below is a list of Financial Documents required before issuance of an I-20.

Financial Documents

In order to ensure timely processing of your application, please read the financial requirements carefully. Financial aid and scholarships are not available to international students and proof of funding is a requirement for I-20 issuance. Currently $35,000 is required for each year of study (Tuition and Fees). Students who will not be residing on campus and have local sponsors can estimate a yearly cost of $23,000 (Please note that for students enrolled in the Aeronautical Science: Professional Pilot program there are additional flight fees estimated at $9,000/semester). Copies of these forms and documents can be emailed to Email.

International Student Financial Statement External link

  • This form must be completed by the student who is applying to Farmingdale State College and signed by the financial sponsor (if applicable) and bank official. Attach statement of accounts on official bank letterhead or with official signature/seal.  Attach multiple bank statements if more than one financial institute is verifying funding. If the student has more than one sponsor, a form must be completed by each sponsor providing financial support.

Affidavit of Support

  • If funds are being provided by a family member/sponsor, each sponsor must complete an affidavit of support. For students who will not be residing on campus, a local sponsor must also complete an Affidavit of Support answering questions 7 & 8 and provide copy of driver’s license, bank statement, or utility bill verifying address. This form must be notarized.

Bank Letter or Statement:

  • An official bank letter or statement must be provided for each sponsor. Bank letters and statements must be in English and must be current within 6 months of initial enrollment. The bank letters and statements must show the actual amount in the account and the U.S. dollars equivalency.

Letter of Employment or Pay Stub:

  • Letter of employment or pay stub must be provided by each financial sponsor confirming financial resources will be available to fund each year of attendance.

International Students Already Studying in the US

Current students studying in the United States on an F-1 Student Visas must also provide the following information:

  • Photocopies of all Form I-20s
  • Photocopy of current I-94
  • Photocopy of the passport page that includes your identification photo (U.S. VIsa page and home country's page)
  • International Students Transfer Form completed by your current school's Designated School Official (DSO) or International Student Advisor

Note: Transfer students with fewer than 24 post-secondary credits must supply an official secondary school translated transcript and meet the English language proficiency requirement.

Document Checklist

  • Passport
  • Permanent Address in Home Country
  • Autobiographical Essay
  • Official Transcripts
  • Course-by-course evaluation from a member of NACES
  • English Language Proficiency

Financial Documentation

  • Signed financial statement form FSA-4
  • Copies of bank statements
  • Affidavit of Support (for each sponsor - local and financial)
  • Letter of employment or pay stub from sponsor(s)
  • Copy of Driver's LIcense or Utility Bill from local sponsor (if not residing on campus)

For Applicants Currently Studying in the US

  • International Student Transfer Report
  • Copy of previous I-20(s)
  • Copy of I-94
  • Copy of US Visa

International Education & Programs

Laffin Hall, Room 320A
Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm


James Hall
Acting Director


Jeannette Sinnott
Assistant Director of International Programs


Samantha Somma
Senior Staff Assistant


Elizabeth Hamberger
Study Abroad Specialist


Donna Onorato
Administrative Assistant 2