Dr. Geraldo (Gerry) Vasquez is an Assistant Professor of Accounting in the Department of Business Management of the School of Business. He previously taught at the City University of New York.
His research interests include auditor behavior, going concern opinion, student engagement and experiential learning, blockchain technology and digital assets. Dr. Vasquez' research on IT audits was featured in The Trusted Professional on November 14, 2019 (https://www.nysscpa.org/news/publications/the-trusted-professional/article/speakers-advocate-for-it-audits-to-move-from-templates-to-risk-modeling-111419). His research is published in the Journal of Theoretical Accounting Research and The CPA Journal.
Dr. Vasquez serves as a member of the Future of Accounting Education Committee of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants. He is a former member of the Auditing Standards and Digital Assets Committees. He also serves as the Founding Chair of the Board of Trustees of Emblaze Academy Charter School, Inc.
Dr. Vasquez is a member of the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Global Business Insights and a peer reviewer for The CPA Journal.
Prior to entering academia, Dr. Vasquez served in various positions in the private and public sectors. He has considerable financial and administrative management, technology project management and auditing experience. Dr. Vasquez served as the Chief Financial Officer of Sustainable South Bronx, Inc., the Founding Director of Finance and Administration of the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism and a Senior Auditor for the Office of the New York State Comptroller in the public sector. In the private sector, Dr. Vasquez was responsible for accounting, finance, budgeting, real estate and technology project management functions as a Vice President of Merrill Lynch and Co., Inc.
Dr. Vasquez is proficient in remote learning technologies and learning management systems such as Blackboard Collaborate; Kaltura Video; WebEx; Zoom; Google Meet; Microsoft Teams; Blackboard; Connect Accounting; My Accounting Lab; and Wiley Plus.
Dr. Vasquez holds a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) from the Fox School of Business and Management (AACSB accredited) of Temple University. He also holds a M.Sc. and B.A. cum laude in Accounting from the City University of New York-Queens College. Dr. Vasquez is a member of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society and a CPA Candidate.
Accounting I (BUS 101) | Accounting II (BUS 102) | Auditing (BUS 471) | Business Statistics (BUS 240)
- D.B.A., Fox School of Business and Management (AACSB accredited) (Accounting), Temple University, 2017
- M.Sc., Accounting and Information Systems (Accounting), City University of New York-Queens College, 2010
- B.A., Accounting and Information Systems (Accounting), City University of New York-Queens College, 2004 – cum Laude
- Geraldo Vasquez, An Introduction to Blockchain: What Does it Mean for the Accounting Profession?, The CPA Journal, XCI(6/7) 2021, 52-55.
- Geraldo Vasquez, The Influence of Financial Relationships on Auditor Going Concern Decisions, Journal of Theoretical Accounting Research, 17(1) 2021, 141-175.
- Geraldo Vasquez and Maria Randazzo-Davis, “What does the going concern opinion tell us about gender and firm success?” Presentation to the Farmingdale State College's Celebration of Scholarship Conference, Farmingdale, NY on December 10, 2021.
- Maria Randazzo-Davis and Geraldo Vasquez, “Reflections in an online setting: Fostering engagement and higher education attainment.” Presentation to the Farmingdale State College's Business and Economics Research Seminar, Farmingdale, NY on April 27, 2021.
- Geraldo Vasquez, “Does a venture capitalist influence auditor going concern decisions?” Paper presented to the Farmingdale State College's Business and Economics Research Seminar, Farmingdale, NY on November 10, 2020.
- Bruce Nearon and Geraldo Vasquez, “Managing IT Audit Risk: A Portfolio Approach.” Presentation to the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants' Auditing Standards Conference, New York, NY on November 14, 2019.
- Geraldo Vasquez, “Achieving student engagement in an introductory accounting course: Optimizing the learning environment and outcomes.” Poster presented at the American Accounting Association 2019 Annual Meeting's Effective Learning Strategies Interactive Session, San Francisco, CA on August 12, 2019.
- Geraldo Vasquez, “Understanding Blockchain Technology: Opportunities and challenges for the profession.” Paper presented to the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants' Digital Assets Technical Session, New York, NY on June 18, 2019.
- Geraldo Vasquez, ““Blockchain Technology: What does it mean for the accounting profession?” Paper presented to the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants' Auditing Standards Technical Session, New York, NY on January 22, 2019.