Reversing Long Island's Brain Drain 2018: Vast Majority of Farmingdale State College Alumni Employed Within Six Months of Graduation

Farmingdale State College's most recent survey of alumni reveals that 90% of baccalaureate degree recipients are employed within six months of graduation. Of that group, 75% are working full-time and 81% are working on Long Island and in Metro New York. Seventy-seven percent are employed at a position related to their degree.

The 2016-2017 "Six Months after Graduation Report" was completed by 27% of the graduating classes of 2016 and 2017.

"These are the kinds of outcomes that occur when we offer first-class teaching and provide our students with significant applied and experiential learning opportunities both within and outside the classroom," said Farmingdale President Dr. John S. Nader. "In today's highly competitive job market, students must have both, and we are proud to note how well our students are seizing the opportunities we provide them."

Other highlights of the survey include:
• Among baccalaureate degree recipients whose positions are related to their degree, 45% secured their jobs prior to graduation. The remaining 55% secured their jobs within six months following graduation.
• 68% of the employed graduates said they were "very satisfied" or "satisfied" with their preparation at Farmingdale State College. This percentage goes up to 75% among those working in a job related to their major.
• 25% of baccalaureate respondents who are employed reported annual salaries of at least $60,000. 45% reported annual salaries of $40,000 or more.
• 33% of respondents reported having done an internship at Farmingdale. Of that group, 37% were offered a permanent position at the company where they interned. 55% of those responding to the survey got their internship through a Farmingdale instructor or a Farmingdale internship program.
• Baccalaureate survey respondents received degrees in majors from the School of Business (38%), School of Engineering Technology (26%), School Health Sciences (9%) and School of Arts and Sciences (27%).

Farmingdale assists students in gaining satisfying employment in several ways, including enlisting executives from business and industry to help advise the College on the development of academic programs, so they are shaped to equip students with the critical skills needed to succeed in the work place. The College also maintains extensive internship and experiential learning programs, networking opportunities with alumni, regular jobs fairs, and tutelage in job interviewing and resume writing through its Nexus Center for Applied Learning & Career Development.

word job spelled on blocks
Last Modified 4/3/20