Empowering student development in leadership, professional growth, and self-discovery.
About The Leadership Academy
The Leadership Academy at Farmingdale State College enables students to own their lives by developing leadership principles and life skills such as character building, communication, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, problem solving, and conflict management. The Leadership Academy requires all participants to submit an application in order to be considered for the program. The online application can be found at farmingdale.edu/leadership-academy/application. Application deadline for the 2019 Academy: September 10, 2019.
Topics to be covered:
- Creative problem solving
- Defining what leadership is and why it is important
- Effective communication skills: group dynamics
- Team building and vulnerability: adventure ropes course (field trip)
- Discussing social conformity and how it impacts us personally as well as societally
- Personality self-assessment: questioning and exploring self-identity
- Emotional intelligence
- Embracing and discovering who you are and what makes you unique while embracing authenticity
- Conflict resolution/management
- Creative problem solving/seeing aspects from different perspectives
- Gaining confidence through public speaking and group discussion and debates about controversial issues in society
The Leadership Academy meets every Monday, from 7-9 p.m. in Conklin Hall, Room 100. All Leadership Academy members are required to attend weekly meetings. Meetings will be held from September 16 through December 2, 2019.