Assistant Professor 10 Months Email Lupton Hall, Room 150
Biography: Professor Tarik Eltaeib, PH.D.
Professor Tarik Eltaeib is a well-rounded, enthusiastic, highly accomplished, well-loved, natural leader and educator specializing in Computer Security, Operating systems and Security, and Computer Forensics.
Professor Eltaib obtained his PhD in Computer Science and Engineering in May 2019 from the University of Bridgeport. His PhD thesis comprised “Largescale Evolutionary Optimization using Multilayer Strategy Differential Evolution with AI and image processing application”.
He obtained his Bachelor of Computer Science from the University of Garyounis (Benghazi) in 1999 and completed a Master of Computer Science and Information Technology Science in May 2010 from the same institution, completing a thesis on “Health Informatics: Health Architecture based on SOA and Mobile Agents”.
A great believer in continuing education and professional development for faculty members, he has earned new certifications and attended conferences, focusing on how to improve the learning experience for his students, as it can improve student outcomes by as much as 21%.He obtained the following relevant and important qualifications to strengthen his knowledge and skills in his chosen field:
- Cisco Academy Accredited Instructor (CCNA, IT Essential I, IT Essential II)
- MCSA and MCSE certifications, making him officially Microsoft certified.
- Engaging Online Learners
- Grant Writing with Farmingdale Qualtrics
- CircleIn Application and Software
He enhanced his career whilst studying by working in the private sector as a software developer in several companies and the Enterprise Application Administrator at a Mitsubishi Power Systems, where he built state-of-the-art Enterprise and Machine Learning Applications.
Academic positions include Adjunct Professor at the University of Bridgeport, CT, and Assistant Professor – Computer Security where he is tenured at the School of Engineering Technology, Farmingdale State College - State University of New York. He has 6 years of higher education experience, and a total of 14 years. He has presented and published numerous conference papers, journal articles and contributed to a book chapter on Large-scale Evolutionary Optimization.
He has excelled at going the extra mile, teaching not only his own classes but an additional Capstone projects, doing cybersecurity research, counseling students, assisting with open days for new students, contributing to curriculum enhancements, and proposing a new club to support women in the industry, SWCSI (Supporting Women in the Computer Security Industry). He excels at guiding students in subject choices based on interest, ability and skills.
His continual quest for knowledge and broadening his skills has proven beneficial to his students and his professional evaluations reflect this in perfect teaching scores.
Additional awards, societies and honor groups include:
- 2018 Expert Level Instructor Excellence Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- 2017 Instructor 5 Years of Service Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- 2017 Excellence in CCNA Curriculum Specialization Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- 2017 Expert Level Instructor Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- 2016 Expert Level Instructor Excellence Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- 2015 Expert Level Instructor Excellence Award – Cisco Networking Academy.
- Member of the IEEE Computer Society since 2015.
Tarik always takes initiative to improve the school resources and offerings. He is observant and able to pick up on gaps and have made several contributions to improvements, for example:
- He contributed to and submitted Curriculum Change Proposals (CCP) for both Courses CRJ100 and CRJ 200.
- He proposed a new design for a virtual machine for the computer security department.
- Tarik proposed an important new course entitled “Cloud Security”. This is a critically important topic in computer security today and will contribute significantly to the school’s offerings.
- Tarik initiated, developed, wrote, and submitted a grant proposal to SUNY IBM AI Research Alliance for research funding, with computer security team. Should this be successful, the school will be able to run an important research project.
- Tarik is setting a great example for the school’s students by working hard on his personal development. He has been working on upgrading his knowledge and developing his skills. He recently (January, 2021) earned two especially important Microsoft qualifications, namely the MCSA and MCSE certifications. This will not only benefit Tarik, but also his students and the whole department.
[i] Reviewing the evidence on how teacher professional development affects student achievement. US Department of Education’s Institute of Education Sciences. REL southwest. Regional Educational Laboratory at Edvance Research, Inc.
- Date security and privacy.
- Computer Security.
- Operating systems and Security.
- Computer Forensics.