Stevie Famulari, Gds teaches and designs public art, phytoremediation applications, storm water design, landscape architecture herstory, and specialty green courses. Mx Famulari's research in design explores the relationship, extension, and application of green designs to other professional fields. Stevie’s PhD, ABD research is at RMIT. Xyr received a Mistress' degree in Landscape Architecture from SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry with a concentration in Fine Arts from Syracuse University. Stevie's bachelor’s degree of Fine Arts is from New York University.
Mx. Famulari’s work focuses on greening designs and practices to create healthy spaces for living and working. By applying the science of phytoremediation to the art of landscape design, xyr works have aesthetic beauty as well as healing properties for both people and environment. Stevie's first book on this topic, Green Up! Sustainable Design Solutions for Healthier Work and Living Environments, by Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group publishers, was released 2019. She is currently working on her second book.
Stevie’s projects include greenwalls; planted roofs; green remediation designs for interior and exterior applications; water remediation designed to benefit communities near oil fracking sites; designs for the EPA in Colorado, Smithsonian Arts & Industries Building, North Dakota State University, and the Ghost Ranch Visitor Center for the Georgia O’Keefe Museum in Abiquiu, New Mexico; developwomxnt of green design and policies on the UNM campus; flood control design for the Red River in North Dakota; and green design on numerous residential sites nationally.
Stevie Famulari’s phytoremediation database of plants that clean the air, soil, and water of contaminants has been used by the EPA, landscape architecture, and engineering firms, and government agencies. She has been an investigator for grants which explore remediation design for oil drilling processes, the improvement of air quality, remediation design for communities, and interior green applications.
Mx. Famulari's work in greening designs, practices, research, and education can be seen nationally and internationally through awards, lectures, books, presentations, and exhibitions at Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Smithsonian, Plains Art Museum, San Diego Museum of Natural Itstory, UC Berkeley, International Phytotechnology Society, MECA, UNM, UMN, ASLA, and AIA.
Stevie’s work has appeared in hundreds of books, magazines, newspapers, and television programs, including Food Network Challenges and Specials, NBC Evening News, Oakland Tribune, World Entertainment News Network, The Oprah Winfrey Show, the Travel Channel, Good Morning America, CBS Early Morning News, Smithsonian Magazine, Washington Post, The Post Standard, Trust for Public Land, Boston Herald, Berkeley Daily Planet, NY Village Voice, Santa Fe Reporter, and Star Tribune.
Mx. Famulari has been a professor of Landscape Architecture and Urban Design for over a decade, as well as a director, a green artist, an author, and a researcher. She is currently a professor at Farmingdale State College, the State University of New York, in the Department of Urban Horticulture and Design.
Stevie Famulari is changing the way people live and work in their spaces- in any scale, interior, exterior or unique site conditions- to create healthy living spaces.
Courses TaughtHorticulture Department- Drafting 1, Drafting 2, Plans 1, Capstone Prep, Capstone, Interior Plant Design, Phytoremediation, Herstory of Landscape Architecture, AutoCad
- Stevie Famulari, (a) Green Up! Sustainable Design Solutions for Healthier Work And Living Environments, New York: Taylor and Francis (2019).
- Stevie Famulari, (a) "Green Comes in All Shapes and Sizes at FSC", review of my book "Green Up! Sustainable Design Solutions for Healthier Work and Living Environments"., November 11, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, (a) "Art and Horticulture Merge on Around the Dale". Radio interview with Peter Crescenti about the art, design, plants, phytoremediation and their role in my teaching., October 7, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, (a) "Horticulture Professor Exhibits at Smithsonian", article about the "Engaging Urban Greening" installation at the Smithsonian., July 22, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, "Engaging Urban Greening", Artist Talk by Stevie Famulari at the Smithsonian AIB building., Artist Lecture presented to the Smithsonian AIB, Washington, DC, on June 16, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, (g) "Engaging Urban Greening" at Smithsonian AIB., Workshop presented to the Smithsonian AIB, Washington DC, on June 16, 2019.
- (a) Smithsonian Magazine Article "These Engaging, Immersive Works Erase the Line Between Artist and Audience". Article for "Engaging Urban Greening" installation., June 14, 2019.
- (a) "BYT Interviews: Stevie Famulari" in Brightest Young Things Magazine. For Engaging Urban Greening Installation at Smithsonian AIB, 14 June 2019., June 14, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, (a) Long Island Press Magazine, May 2019, Vol 198 No 5., May 1, 2019.
- Stevie Famulari, “(a) Using phytoremediation in the urban environment as a method to reduce poor air quality caused by invasive species.” Presentation to the Long Island Invasive Species Management Area Conference (LIISMA), Long Island, NY on February 5, 2019.
- (a) Eco Fem Mag Podcast, from New Zealand PLANTS: THE OG AIR PURIFIERS WE NEED MORE OF, Stevie Famulari, November 16, 2018.
- Stevie Famulari, Nicholas Menchyk, Garrett Beier and Emily A. Fogarty, “Geographic Information System Mapping of the Robert F. Ench Teaching Gardens.” Poster presented at the Celebration of Scholarship, Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale, NY on October 30, 2018.
- (a) 4 Media stories for urban design student greening in the South Bronx,.
- Stevie Famulari, (a) "Farmingdale State College: Born Juice Project" in The Umbrella Newsletter for SUNY Applied Learning.,.
Awards & Honors
- (k) Phenomenal Womyn Award Recipient, March 2019, February 1, 2019 - March 25, 2019.
- (k) Long Island Business News Award in Professional Healthcare, 2020.