May 3, 2021
To Faculty and Staff:
Please join us for our Car-mencement ceremonies to be held on Saturday, May 22. This
is an ideal opportunity to celebrate the achievements of the students with whom you’ve
worked. Your participation is an ideal way to recognize the diligence of our graduates.
We will celebrate with two ceremonies: School of Arts & Sciences and School of Health
Sciences at 10:00 a.m., and School of Business and School of Engineering Technology
at 2:00 p.m.
To make this event as safe and enjoyable as possible, please review the guidelines
- Faculty/staff should arrive at least thirty minutes before each ceremony and enter campus via the Melville Road entrance near the Nold Athletic Complex. Vehicles will not be allowed to exit until the ceremony is completely
- To ensure that the entire route is lined with spectators for the graduates, please review the attached map. Parking lots have been suggested based on school or department. You may bring a
chair and set up on the sidewalk.
- Students will line up in lot 3 and remain in their cars while they await the procession.
- We ask that you maintain a 6 ft. distance from others and wear a face covering.
- Restrooms will be open in the Campus Center.
- Students will be decorating their cars and faculty/staff are encouraged to do the
same. We hope to see your creativity!
Car-mencement will have many of the same elements of a traditional commencement ceremony
- Every student’s name will be read and the traditional diploma cover will be presented
as their car crosses in front of the stage.
- A printed program will be given out to every graduate.
- Caps and tassels will be distributed at the event to our graduating seniors.
- We expect SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras to be on campus to confer the degrees to our
The entire event will be able to be heard through an on-campus radio simulcast. In
addition, the ceremony will be livestreamed and available to view after the event
on the commencement website for those who can’t join us.
Thank you for your enthusiasm and support for this event. We look forward to seeing
you on May 22!