February 20, 2023
To the Campus Community:
I am deeply saddened by the senseless tragedy that occurred on Monday evening at Michigan
State University and by the continued scourge of gun violence across this country.
Our sympathies go to the families of the victims and to the entire Michigan State
These occurrences have become all too common in recent years and it reinforces the
need for preparedness, training, and communication on our campus as well. With that
in mind I would like to reiterate the measures we are taking in our ongoing effort
to keep our campus safe and to outline some steps that you can take to help protect
yourself and others.
- Our University Police Department regularly conducts trainings and drills, often in
conjunction with state and local agencies to prepare for such emergencies.
- UPD recently held a series of campus safety town hall meetings to improve knowledge
around situational awareness and the best approach to dealing with crisis situations.
Please take time to view these recorded campus safety information sessions.
- UPD is in the process of updating additional resources and training videos which will
be available on the web in the coming weeks.
- During the Spring 2023 term, we will conduct additional active shooter trainings on
campus and will be reaching out to coordinate with the appropriate areas.
- UPD has prepared an updated FSC Emergency Response Guidelines flipbook which will
be distributed soon. Please review the flipbook and the red “Go Folder” at least annually and keep these nearby.
- To be fully informed during any emergency, please sign up for RAVE alert system, FSC’s emergency notification system.
- I also encourage you download the RAVE Guardian app which can serve as an immediate conduit to emergency services. The University Police
number is pre-programmed into the app allowing a one touch call that will connect you with a dispatcher.
Together, these steps take only a few minutes and can dramatically improve your safety
and the safety of your co-workers. Keep in mind, as well, that the resources in Campus Mental Health Services and our Employee Assistance Program are available for any level of assistance and support that may be requested by either
individuals or groups.