The Peer Mentoring program (also referred to as Academic Coaching or Skill-based tutoring), offered by the Tutoring Center, is designed to provide students with the skills, tools, and resources necessary to succeed at Farmingdale State College. Peer Mentors are high-achieving students who have demonstrated proficiency in navigating campus resources and mastering the rigors of college-level work.
Unlike Peer Tutors who help students with specific course-related content, Peer Mentors assist with developing academic success strategies for use in any course. By working with a Peer Mentor, students can receive guidance and work towards improving their skills in time management, organization, note-taking, studying, communicating with faculty, and more.
Although Peer Mentors are not academic advisors and cannot formally advise on which courses to take, they can provide a unique perspective from a student’s point of view on many different facets of college life. This program is available to all FSC students, regardless of major, free of charge.
- Provide students with the skills necessary to succeed academically
- Help students become more aware of and utilize campus resources
- Develop a sense of camaraderie amongst peers and a connection to the campus community
- Foster the intellectual and personal development of both the mentor and mentee
Students may meet with a Peer Mentor to work on any of the following topics:
- College “101” basics and using campus resources
- Learning how to learn
- Effective time management
- Organization strategies
- Note-taking skills
- Setting realistic goals
- Strategic studying
- Test-taking strategies
- Conquering technology (Google Suite, Office 365, etc.).
- Maintaining motivation and self-discipline while studying
The Peer Mentoring program has now ended for the Spring semester.
Finals Week Hours | Spring 2022
|Monday (5/16 & 5/23)||9:00 am - 4:30pm|
|Tuesday (5/17)||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Wednesday (5/18)||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Thursday (5/19)||9:00 am - 5:30 pm|
|Friday (5/20)||10:00 am - 2:00pm|
Hours are subject to change. The last day of tutoring for the semester will be Monday,
Please view the Tutoring Schedule for specific tutor availability and to book an appointment.