Transfer Fast Facts and FAQ

Admissions FAQ

The Admissions Office receives over 10,000 applications. Each application is carefully reviewed and many factors are taken into account when making a decision. We attempt to evaluate all students equitably and make a special effort to give you credit for your grade point average and the degree of difficulty of the core classes you take.

We consider your intended major, as some programs have specific prerequisites or more competitive criteria. Other details include: your rank in class, SAT or ACT scores,regents and your extracurricular and community service involvement. We look for a HS GPA of B/B+.  Transfer students are required to have a GPA of at least a 2.5.

SAT or ACT scores are required for all applicants who graduated from high school after 1998. Transfer students who have completed a minimum of 24 credits with a GPA of at least 2.5 do not need to send their SAT/ACT scores.  The average SAT scores for the incoming freshman class is 1,020. Farmingdale State College looks for a combined Critical Reading/Math SAT score of at least 1000 and or a minimum of a 21 composite score on the ACT for admission. 

The admissions criteria are the same for students whether they live in New York or elsewhere. It is natural for a state university to attract many resident students, but we welcome and encourage out-of-state and international students to apply.

Yes,we do accept AP or other college level courses.  AP scores must be sent through  Farmingdale will accept equivalent courses of "C" or better for transfer.  For further questions regarding AP scores or transfer credits, please contact the Transfer Services Department at 934-420-2594. 

The application deadline for the Fall semester is May 1 and January 3rd for the Spring.  Please note that individual curriculum's follow different deadlines (i.e. Nursing, Dental Hygiene, etc.)

If you are denied admission, you can enroll in classes as a non-matriculated student to complete any required prerequisites or raise your GPA. Before registering, please meet with an advisor in the Academic Advisement and Information Center (AAIC). An advisor can guide you in the right direction to ultimately gain acceptance to the College.

When you are formally accepted into a degree or certificate program, you are considered a matriculated student. You are eligible to apply for financial aid and campus housing.  Non-matriculated students are students who are attending classes at Farmingdale, but are not registered in a degree program. Please note, matriculation is required for graduation.

To schedule an appointment with an Admissions counselor, please call the Office of Admissions at 934-420-2200. Please make sure to bring any transcripts with you to your appointment; they may be unofficial for the purpose of this meeting.

Interested in visiting our campus?  We can't wait to meet you!  Please view our Campus Tour page.

Yes. Each semester, prospective students and their families and friends are invited to learn about Farmingdale State. Open House is a great opportunity to tour the campus, meet current students and faculty, ask questions concerning financial aid, residence life, athletics, admissions, academic course offerings and any other areas. Please visit the Open House website to make a reservation!

Farmingdale welcomes International students. For details on how to apply, please reference our International Students page for more information.

Farmingdale currently offers 37 degree programs

Farmingdale State's Athletic Program offers student athletes a wide variety of opportunities for participation. The College is a Division III member of the NCAA, National Collegiate Athletic Association, and competes as members of the Skyline, ECAC, and CTC Conferences. The program, available for men & women, offers student-athletes a wide variety of opportunities for participation. The College is committed to the ideals of a quality intercollegiate athletic program that offer students a quality educational experience. The College supports the intercollegiate program and student-athletes within the guidelines of the State University Board of Trustees.


How do I apply to be become a  non-matriculated (visiting) student?

In order to apply as a non-matriculated student, we require that you fill out the application located at Once your application is accepted by the Admissions Department, they will send you an email confirmation that will refer you to the registration process.

How do I register for classes as a  non-matriculated (visiting) student?

Once your application is accepted by the Admissions Department, they will send you an email confirmation that will refer you to the registration process.

After completing the registration process, you will receive a message automatically to the email address you provided confirming your submission.  Within 5 business days of your submission a Registrar’s Office staff member will contact you via email or phone and provide you with an update on your request.  If you do not hear from a staff member within 5 days of submitting your request you should reach out to the office directly by calling 934-420-2776 or by email  Email.  Please note a submission does not guarantee that you will get a seat in the course you selected.


To register for classes in the Fall semester you must wait for non-matriculated student registration to open on August 2, 2017. 

Non-matriculated students may utilize our Academic Advising Information Center (AAIC)  for advisement and questions regarding what courses to take and other advisement topics.  Information regarding the AAIC.

Where do I look up the current course listing?

Please utilize our Course Listing to look up the courses we offer.

When is the last day to drop a course?

For information regarding the Refund Schedule: drop  please visit the Student Accounts website or contact the Office of Student Accounts at 934-420-2560 or  Email

  • Dropping courses past any of the deadlines will result in partial to full charges of the course and a final grade of "W" will be noted on your academic transcript.
  • If after registering you decide you do NOT want to take the course you MUST drop the course from your record by the deadline for 100% refund. Farmingdale State College does NOT drop you for non-payment.  If you do not drop your course by the drop deadline you will be financially responsible for the course.  For instructions on how to drop please refer to question below.

How do I drop a course I no longer wish to take?

You may drop your courses up until the drop add/deadline by submitting the non-matriculated summer drop form.  The form can be accessed by clicking here. Please go to the Academic Calendar to determine the Last Day you can drop/add a course in each summer session. 

How do I register for a closed course?

If a course is closed you must request permission to register with the chair of the department responsible for the class.  For example, if the closed course you wish to take is MTH 110- Statistics you will need to reach out to the Math department.   Contact information for each of our departments is available by clicking here.  Once on the page click Academic Departments A-Z.

Please note the Chemistry department will NEVER permit a student to register for a closed course. 

Where can I find Information regarding tuition and fees?

For information regarding tuition and fees, please visit the Student Accounts website or contact the Office of Student Accounts at 934-420-2560 or  Email

My college requires I submit a copy of the syllabus and/or course description for prior approval.  How do I go about getting this information?

  • If your home college requires a copy of the syllabus, you must reach out to the department offering the course.  Contact information for each of our departments is available by clicking here.  Once on the page click Academic Departments A-Z.

  • If your home college requires a copy of the course description, you can access our online college catalog.  

How do I access my online portal account?

After your registration form has been processed, an online portal account (OASIS) will be created for you.  You will use OASIS to review your schedule and your grades.  You can access your online portal by clicking here.  First time users will use your full social security number (no spaces or dashes) as your user name and your password is the 6 digit date of birth mm/dd/yy (no spaces or dashes).  If you have any difficulty accessing your online portal, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 934-420-2776.  We cannot reset your password via email.

I have registered for an online course, how do I log in to Blackboard?

 For questions regarding the online Blackboard system please visit the Blackboard information site. If you have further questions after reviewing the above link, please contact  Email

Do I need a parking permit?

Yes, all students must obtain a parking permit if they plan to park on campus.  Please visit the University Police website for more information.

I completed my class and would like to transfer the course/credits to my home college.  How do I go about doing so?

Once you have completed your course and your grade has been posted on your OASIS transcript, you may request an official transcript to be mailed to your home college. The request form and other information regarding the transcript request process can be found on the Transcript information page.

Still could use some help? Email us and we will get back to you shortly.