Frequently Asked Questions


What are the eligibility requirements to study abroad?

Depending on the program, there are certain requirements such as a minimum GPA, a minimum number of college credits already completed or years in college completed and sometimes language proficiency. There are programs that you can participate in as early as the summer after freshman year.

To where can I travel?

As a student of the SUNY system (comprised of 64 campuses), you are able to apply to any program offered by any school in the SUNY system as long as you meet the eligibility requirements. Currently there are 600 programs being offered in 60 countries on all seven continents.

Do I need a Passport and/or Visa?

To travel to any country outside of the US and Puerto Rico, you will need a passport. A visa is required for most programs that are a semester or longer in duration.

Do I need to be able to speak a foreign language?

There are some programs that have language requirements but there are also a great number of programs that offer instruction in English. The language requirements will depend on the courses chosen and students' major requirements.

Where do I go to learn more about opportunities for study abroad? is a great database of all the programs offered through SUNY. On campus you can go to Laffin Hall room 320 to speak with a member of the International Education office to explore the options offered by both Farmingdale State College and SUNY.

When am I able to apply for study abroad?

You can apply as soon as you have the idea to further your education abroad. Most programs have deadlines a few months in advance so the sooner you know you would like to apply, the better.

What is the cost of studying abroad?

As a student of Farmingdale State College, tuition for any abroad program will be the same as tuition to take a course here on campus. Added expenses of study abroad that may not be included might be program fees (if there are planned tours or events while you are there, meals, travel with the program, etc.) room and board (if available), your own spending money, flight cost, books, and other materials needed for the courses.

Can I use financial aid to pay for a program?

Yes, you can use financial aid to pay for a study abroad program. The Financial Aid Office on the 3rd floor of Laffin Hall will be able to help you set that up. See Financial Aid Procedure tab for more information.

Why should I study abroad? What benefits will come from having taken the opportunity to study in another country?

Study abroad can be a great opportunity to network with people from all over the world. In this world of business that is growing globally, it is important in most industries to understand other cultures. On a resume, this kind of college experience will stand out to future employers. Why not earn credits while immersing yourself in another culture and traveling in another city? The benefits are endless as you get to see a new place in the world, meet new people, make global connections, earn credits, travel, and broaden your horizons on many different levels. It is highly recommended by those who have participated because it results in such individual growth.

When do my study abroad transcrips get transferred back?

Students transcripts are sent to the FSC study abroad office typically 6-8 weeks after the end of their program. Once we receive the transcripts they will be sent to transfer services to be reflected on the students FSC transcript.

  • Students must receive a letter grade of 'C' or higher in order to receive the credit for the course.

For other SUNY students on FSC programs, a supplemental transcript will be sent the students home SUNY's study abroad office.

Still could use some help? Email us and we will get back to you shortly.