Frequently Asked Questions


1. Where can I study abroad?

Farmingdale offers 4 consistent programs for semester and short-term study abroad. These programs are located in Cyprus, France, Italy and Spain and have a variety of course options for different majors. In addition, there are several faculty-led programs that run during winter, spring and Thanksgiving break. Farmingdale students are also welcome to study abroad through another SUNY institution. There are over 600 programs in more than 100 countries in the SUNY system.

2. How many times can I study abroad? 

Farmingdale does not place a limit on the number of programs a student can attend. However, before you start planning, work with your academic advisor to map out which courses you should enroll in to graduate on time. 

3. I am a freshman. What should I do now? 

Keep your GPA up! Farmingdale requires a 2.5 minimum GPA for all students looking to study abroad. However, other SUNY programs may set a higher requirement. It is never too early to tell your academic advisor that you are thinking of studying abroad! Studying abroad will affect the sequence of courses you take. Some classes are better to take abroad like your general electives. 

4. When should I apply? 

Study Abroad applications are submitted the semester before the program begins. Program deadlines vary greatly, so it is recommended that you have an understanding of individual program requirements. Please check the individual program site for additional information.

5. Can I study abroad on a program not affiliated with the SUNY system? 

Yes, but you will not be billed by Farmingdale. This will make you ineligible for your Farmingdale scholarship. It is strongly recommended that you work with your academic advisor to ensure credits earned abroad will transfer back and count towards your degree. The student will need to work with the registrar’s office and take a leave of absence. The student will work independently and not with the Office of International Education and Programs. 

6. Is it expensive to study abroad?

Each program/country varies in tuition costs. Tuition and housing for a Farmingdale program are comparable to Farmingdale tuition. Program prices change yearly and depend on factors such as location, length of stay and number of credits. Please refer to the budget sheet for your program. The budget sheet outlines the program cost and provides an estimate of additional costs you may incur. You will need additional money to cover personal expenses and other program fees. Financial Aid options are available. There are a number of scholarships students can apply for as well.

7. Can students from certain majors only study abroad? 

No. Students from all undergraduate majors in good academic standing can study abroad. Some students within certain majors may find it easier to select courses. This is why it is always important to plan early and save electives. 

8. If I study abroad, can I graduate on time? 

If planned properly, the student will remain on track to graduate on time.  

9. Do I need to know a foreign language in order to study abroad? 

No. Majority of programs have a large number of courses set aside with course offerings in English across a variety of disciplines. Students are encouraged to take a foreign language class while in that particular country. 

10. Can I study abroad as an International student? 

All international students at Farmingdale are eligible to study abroad. You will need to make sure your visa is updated. Please check with your international student advisor on the proper procedures. 

11. Whom should I talk to about studying abroad?

The Office of International Education and Programs is available year round to answer any questions. Our advisors are knowledgeable about programs for specific majors within various geographic locations and can help you narrow your search. 

12. Can I apply to more than one program at a time? 

No. You may only apply to one program (per term). 

13. What if I decide not to study abroad after I have been accepted? 

The Office of International Education and Programs and host SUNY (if applicable) must be alerted immediately of your plan to withdraw from a program. Students are responsible for understanding the cancellation policies.

If you decide to withdraw your study abroad application, you must inform the Study Abroad office by completing the Study Abroad Withdrawal Form

Depending on the time of your withdrawal you may be responsible for paying a portion of the program costs outlined on the program Budget Sheet that cannot be recovered by FSC or that FSC may still be required to pay on your behalf. The application fee and non-refunded deposit will not be refunded.

Tuition associated with a study abroad program is refunded according to a different calendar than that of FSC or your home SUNY campus. It is possible that even if you withdraw from a study abroad program prior to the start of classes or early in the semester you may still be liable for all or part of the SUNY tuition. 

If you were paying for your study abroad program using financial aid funds, you must contact the Financial Aid office upon your withdrawal. You may be obligated to repay any financial aid awards that you have received in support of your participation in the program and therefore may be required to pay for the entire cost without financial aid. 

You are strongly advised to contact your academic advisor. Depending on when you withdraw, you may lose some or all expected academic credits for the semester.

If you withdraw from your study abroad program and are unable to continue classes at your home campus that same semester please contact the registrar's office for guidance. It may be possible that you have to withdraw from your home campus entirely and then apply to be readmitted. 

If you are already abroad, you must also inform the overseas director or university official of your decision to withdraw. 

Still could use some help? Email us and we will get back to you shortly.

Last Modified 10/11/23