Nicosia, capital of Cyprus, combines both old and new in a busy modern commercial and business center and a centuries-old culture. The center of the city is it's old quarter surrounded by a Venetian sandstone fortress wall with a moat and heart-shaped bastions. Mosques and palm trees give an oriental atmosphere to the old city. Wander round narrow streets with overhanging balconies and the beautiful restored pedestrian precinct with craft shops, cafes and taverns. The new city spreads beyond the walls with a modern Europeanised center of high-rise buildings, office blocks, shops and pavement cafes, expanding into suburban residential areas.
University of Nicosia
- Classes are taught at the University of Nicosia's main campus in Nicosia and students receive a University of Nicosia transcript upon successful completion of their coursework.
- The University of Nicosia is a well-known international institution and the largest university in Cyprus with over 7,000 students (including 1,000 international degree-seeking students) enrolled at three campuses in the three largest cities in Cyprus.
- The university is accredited at the bachelor's, master's and doctorate level and has particular strengths in business, international relations, engineering, computer science and some areas of the social sciences.
- All of the classroom buildings in Nicosia were built over the last decade and match modern American facilities in terms of design, comfort and information technology.
- The University of Nicosia is designed on the American semester model and uses US standards for grading, contact hours and credit hours. All University of Nicosia courses, for local or international students, are taught in English.
- GPA Requirement: 2.75
- Student must be in good disciplinary standing
- Program offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Students take a minimum of 12 SUNY credits
- Courses usually offered in the Fall External link
- Courses usually offered in the Spring External link
- All courses are instructed in English
- Students live with other international students, in fully furnished apartments in the areas surrounding the university campus
- Housing information External link
- All program, lab, and field fees
- Full use of University of Nicosia labs and facilities
- Double occupancy housing (2 students/bedroom), typically in 2BR apartments in residential areas of Nicosia
- On-site orientation and emergency support from local staff
- Six to eight days of exciting day and overnight excursions in Cyprus and multiple cultural activities and experiences
- All ground transportation for host country excursions
- Double-occupancy accommodation in tourist-class hotels including breakfast during any overnight group travel.
- All admission fees to museums and cultural institutions visited with the group
- All guide fees for group trips and excursions
- Airport welcome and transfer from Larnaca airport to Nicosia. All airport transfers when traveling with the group
- Insurance for overseas medical expenses, medical evacuation and repatriation
- Use of a GSM cell phone handset
- US-based support for credit transfer, financial aid and alumni services
Study Abroad Specialist