Medical Laboratory Technology
Room 244 Gleeson Hall
Farmingdale State College
Farmingdale, NY 11735
Medical Laboratory Technology
The Department of Medical Laboratory Technology offers programs at the baccalaureate degree level (Medical Technology) and the associate degree level (Medical Laboratory Technician). Each program is accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) and meets the requirements for national certification through the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and NYS licensure through the NYS Office of the Professions.
Mission & Goals
The Medical Laboratory Technology Department prepares students at both the BS and AS level with the knowledge, technical skills and problem solving ability to meet the needs of regional clinical laboratory employers, as well as to continue on for education in laboratory medicine.
The Medical Laboratory Technology Department offers the following programs:
|Medical Technology||Bachelor of Science|
|Medical Laboratory Technician||Associate in Science|
- Graduates will be prepared with the knowledge and technical skills to obtain a NYS license and national certification at the technologist level of practice.
- Graduates will be proficient in performing the full range of clinical laboratory tests in areas such as hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology/immunology, coagulation, molecular, and other emerging diagnostics.
- Graduates will be prepared to play a role in the development and evaluation of test systems and interpretive algorithms.
- Graduates will have diverse responsibilities in areas of analysis and clinical decision-making, regulatory compliance with applicable regulations, education, and quality assurance/performance improvement wherever laboratory testing is researched, developed or performed
- Graduates will possess basic knowledge, skills, and relevant experiences in:
- Communications to enable consultative interactions with members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education;
- Financial, operations, marketing, and human resource management of the clinical laboratory to enable cost-effective, high-quality, value-added laboratory services;
- Information management to enable effective, timely, accurate, and cost-effective reporting of laboratory-generated information, and;
- Research design/practice sufficient to evaluate published studies as an informed consumer.
- Graduates will be prepared with the knowledge and technical skills to obtain a NYS license and national certification at the technician level of practice.
- Graduates will be prepared for entry level technician positions in the clinical laboratory workplace, including having the ability or predisposition for additional on the job learning of new instrumentation and techniques.
- Graduates will develop an understanding of the need for integrity and personal ethics in the practice of clinical laboratory medicine.
- Graduates will have the educational background necessary for entry into baccalaureate programs in clinical laboratory science
- open all close all