Spring 2019 Commencement
Commencement is a memorable moment for our graduates, their friends, families, and
the entire Farmingdale State campus community. Spring Commencement will take place
outdoors at the Nold Athletic Track Complex and will conclude with fireworks. Please
let your guests know that no backpacks, coolers, or umbrellas will be allowed into
the graduation area. Furthermore, for your safety, all individuals may be subject
to search prior to admittance.
In order for your Spring 2019 Commencement Day to be perfect:
- Graduates ARE REQUIRED to assemble for instructions at the Nold Athletic Track Complex
at 5:00pm. Please try on your cap and gown as soon as you purchase it to ensure it fits. It will
take about one to one and a half hours to sign in, fill out "name" cards properly, receive brief
instructions and line up. Throughout the pre ceremony information session it is imperative
that you follow the instructions of the Staff and Faculty who are organizing the event.
Be patient and understanding. Please remember, graduation will take place outdoors at
the Nold Athletic Track Complex, so please consider the clothing and shoes that you
will be wearing. So that you understand what to do and when, you MUST be present for
the instructions. These instructions and line up take the place of a rehearsal.
- At 7:00pm, the Commencement music will begin to play and the traditional pageantry of the Procession will begin the 100th Commencement Exercises of Farmingdale State. The ceremony should last about two hours.
- It is important that your families and friends be seated PRIOR TO THE PROCESSION. NO ONE CAN BE SEATED DURING THE LENGTHY PROCESSION. Please let your guests know this in advance. Any guests needing special seating should arrive as early as possible, by approximately one hour prior to the start time of the commencement. An area has been reserved for guests needing special seating. Special needs seating is limited. Please be aware that to accommodate all individuals needing special seating, a maximum of one additional guest will be allowed entrance into the special needs area.
- Special seating arrangements will be accommodated in marked areas of the Complex. Please keep these seats available to those who truly need them.
- Remember, all diploma candidates are REQUIRED to wear the traditional cap, gown, and hood. There will be no exceptions.
- Graduates will be recognized individually. The students will stand by row and be led up the aisle by College staff. They will proceed to the stage (from the audience vantage point) and hand the card they were given to the reader for announcing. Students will then walk across the stage and shake hands with the College President, Dr. Nader. Students will then continue off the platform and return to their seats. Once all students receive their diplomas, they will be asked to stand as the President will then confer their degrees. All graduates will move their cap tassels from the RIGHT to the LEFT side.
- Shortly after this, the Recessional will begin with the President's Platform Party leaving the stage followed by the faculty. Graduates will stand in place until they receive instructions for recessing the facility.
- Please tell your family and friends that ALL GUESTS MUST REMAIN IN THEIR SEATS UNTIL THE PLATFORM PARTY, FACULTY, AND GRADUATES HAVE LEFT THE AREA. Students and their families/friends should designate a meeting place outside the gymnasium.
-Students must purchase caps and gowns (available through the bookstore) prior to May 13, 2019 (the last day of finals).
-Guests needing special seating should arrive when the gates open for the ceremony. This area is limited to those needing special seating. However, up to one other not needing special seating may sit with that individual.
-Please note the ceremony will be live streamed. Check back for a link on the College homepage.
-In case of inclement weather, ponchos will be distributed. No umbrellas will be allowed. Please travel light; Guests are advised to leave jackets, purses etc. in the car.
-Water and light snacks will be provided.
-Graduates and guests are advised to wear shoes appropriate for walking on uneven surfaces.
We will continue to update you between now and Commencement with important notices. Please check your email regularly for updates and visit the website for new developments so that we can all make your Commencement a special and memorable occasion.