Frequently Asked Questions
What is the goal of the TRIO Student Support Services Program?
Our goal is to identify and address barriers to our students’ college success in order to increase retention and graduation.
What does TRIO do to help their students?
We offer a variety of free services, such as:
- Two-week residential Summer Bridge Orientation program for incoming freshman to get you ready for the fall semester
- A specialized First Year Experience seminar course
- Counseling (career, personal, & academic), including graduate school advisement
- Assistance arranging internships, job shadowing, and other experiential education activities
- Assistance with financial aid applications and renewals
- Tutoring assistance
- Workshops on time management, study and test taking skills, life skills, and other topics of interest
- Cultural activities, field trips, and opportunities to get involved with community service and campus activities
- Liaison between students and various campus/community resources
How do I apply?
Fill out the online application. You can also print out a paper copy of the application and return it to our office in Laffin Hall, Room 112.
What happens after I apply to TRIO?
Once your application has been received and reviewed, we will contact you to set up an interview with our staff to discuss your goals, our program services, and how these things may or may not fit your needs. It’s your chance to learn more about who we are and what we do, as well as our chance to gauge your willingness and readiness to become an active participant in our program.
I have been accepted to the TRIO Program, so what do I do?
The first thing to do is to meet with one of our counselors to sign your TRIO SSS contract. This is a short, 15-minute meeting to confirm that you understand what we offer and what we will expect of you in order to help you achieve your goals. We recommend ongoing appointments with your counselor, as those who are closer to their counselors tend to feel more connected to the program and perform better academically. Each student must meet with a counselor at least once biweekly; more if needed.
How do I know if I am eligible for the TRIO Program?
You can read more information on program eligibility.