BCS 102: Computer Concepts and Applications
This is an introductory course in the use of personal computers in today's society. Students will receive instruction in basic computer concepts and terminology, the fundamentals of the Windows operating system and have hands on experience at the beginning to intermediate level using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The Internet will be used to supplement textbook and lecture materials. Credits: 3.00
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Identify the components of the information processing cycle.
2. Identify the differences among different types of computers.
3. Be familiar with using the World Wide Web and understand the underlying technology of the Internet.
4. Understand the differences between system software and application software and discern the differences among major categories of application software.
5. Understand how a computer is able to fetch, decode, process, and store information.
6. Be familiar with and identify different types of media used for storing data.
7. Be familiar with the different types of computer output devices.
8. Understand the choices to be made when purchasing a computer system and its peripherals.
9. Understand the ergonomic, social, ethical, and privacy issues concerning the use of computers in a business environment.
10. Use Microsoft Word to create and edit documents, change text enhancement and formatting, and format documents on the paragraph and document level. In addition, the student will be familiar with creating and editing tables and inserting and formatting graphics.
11. Use Microsoft Excel to create and modify a worksheet, improve the appearance of a worksheet, enter formulas, work with functions, sort and filter lists, and create and edit charts.
12. Use Microsoft PowerPoint to create and modify a presentation, view and restructure presentations, and change the appearance of a presentation's look.
Discovering Computers 2018 The Shelly Cashman Series Authors: Vermaat, Sebok, and Freund Publisher: Cengage Learning ISBN-10: 1-337-28510-2 ISBN-13: 978-1-337-28510-0
Microsoft Office 2016 (Introductory) Authors: Shelly/Vermaat Publisher: Cengage Learning ISBN: 978-1-305-87001-7