Gaining Early Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) is competitive grant program of the U.S. Department of Education. The main focus is to increase the number of low-income students who are preparing to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. The program beginning with 7th grade, following theme through high school graduation and their first year in college. (GEAR UP) provides critically early college awareness and support activities like tutoring, mentoring, academic preparation, financial education and college scholarships. The goal is to improve access to higher education for low income, minority and disadvantaged first-generation students and their families. The program mandates cooperation among K-12 schools, institutions of higher education, local and sate entities, business and community-based organizations. These dynamic partnerships are required to leverage local resources, creating a common agenda that more effectively facilitates the educational aspirations and attainment of students from low-income communities.
The overarching goal of the NYGEAR UP project is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education or training. Specifically, NYGEAR UP is designed to:
- Increase students' academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education;
- Increase high school graduation rates among NYGEAR UP students;
- Increase NYGEAR UP students' participation in postsecondary education, with an emphasis on college readiness, college fit and academic alignment to high-demand fields and sectors of the economy;
- Increase the rate of college persistence and completion of NYGEAR UP students; and
- Increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing.
For more information regarding NYGEAR UP, please visit: https://www.hesc.ny.gov/nygearup External link
Farmingdale State College NY GEAR UP Programs:
- Mount Vernon City School District - Thornton High School and Mount Vernon High School
Past Educational and College Trips Have Included:
- College Trips: SUNY Purchase, Westchester Community College, SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY College at Brockport, SUNY Potsdam, Cornell University, SUNY Cortland, Rochester Institute of Technology, Fashion Institute of Technology, Manhattanville College, and SUNY Maritime
- African American Museum in Washington, D.C.
- New York Botanical Gardens
- Siemmon's Health Center
- Liberty Science Center
Past Supplemental Services Have Included:
- Resume workshops
- Interview skills workshops
- Financial Literacy and FAFSA workshops
- Scholarship Application workshops
- CUNY Creative Arts Team Workshop