Preferred Name Change Procedure
Referring to students and employees by a preferred name in classrooms, the workplace, and when interacting with college personnel, supports a welcoming and respectful learning and working environment. The reasons for choosing a preferred name are personal and different for each person.
Students and employees at FSC may choose to identify themselves using a preferred first name that differs from their legal name. A student or employee's preferred name will appear in select College-related systems and documents instead of the person's legal name, as noted below.
• FSC ID Cards – (both legal and preferred first name will be visible)
• Email address
• Email display
• Class rosters
• Grade rosters
• Advising screens – degree audit and other advising systems
• Directory listings (telephone, online, hard copy)
• Email list server interface
• Campus registration and password expiration reset
FSC encourages students and employees to use a preferred name other than their legal name to identify themselves if they wish. For more information, as well as restrictions, please visit the "Preferred First Name" information page.