Request For Student Travel Procedures
This policy applies to all Farmingdale State College students traveling beyond the borders of the campus to a College-Sponsored event. Its intent is to promote safe travel to and from such events. This policy does not apply to students traveling off-campus to events which are not college-sponsored.
A College-Sponsored event or activity is one that:
- is initiated, actively managed, planned and arranged by
- a member of the college’s faculty or staff as part of their official duties, and/or
- members of a registered student organization, and/or
- is approved by an appropriate administrator, and/or
- the College actively manages, is involved with or oversees financially, physically or administratively
Chaperons or sponsors are required for all undergraduate student trips or programs. An Chaperone exemption form must be granted in all cases where a chaperone will not be in attendance.
- Chaperons are strongly encouraged on all trips that involve overnight stay, the rental of a vehicle, or the rental of off-campus facilities.
The Chaperone or Sponsor is responsible for:
- Submitting a faculty/staff Travel Authorization form (if participating in the trip).
- Completing a Travel Packet – see Student/Group Off Campus Checklist.
- Ensuring that all students sign a Liability Release and Assumption of Risk form.
- Providing a Roster of all individuals attending the event, with their emergency contact information, to University Police before leaving for the event
- If students are driving a state vehicle, a rental vehicle, or a personal vehicle where the College will be reimbursing the expense, the driver must be authorized by the University Police via the LENS program.
Students participating in any college-sponsored event/activity are required to:
- Follow all policies and procedures listed in the Student Code of Conduct
- Sign a Liability Release and Assumption of Risk form
- Receive prior approval of University Police to drive a vehicle on behalf of the College. This includes state vehicles, rental vehicles and personal vehicles where the student is seeking reimbursement from the College
Procedure (Off Campus Travel Package)
- Obtain the Travel Packet –Student/Group Off Campus Checklist.
- Faculty/Staff member –complete the Travel Authorization Form (if applicable).
- Indicate students will attend.
- Attach an itinerary.
- Where the College is reimbursing the expense, verify that that the LENS Form is on file for ALL drivers. This includes students who are using their personal cars, a state car or renting a car with Campus funds.
- Ensure each Student completes a Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Form.
** Student Activity events, Clubs and Club Sports MUST use ORGSYNC for event management.
- Automatically generates a Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Form for the students to electronically sign.
- Automatically generates a spreadsheet with the students name and emergency contact information.
Students under the age of 18 years must submit written permission from a legal guardian (as listed in the college data base) to participate in any college-sponsored off-campus event. Legal guardian contact information must accompany the written permission.
- Please submit the completed Travel Packet –Student/Group Off Campus Checklist three weeks prior to your trip to:
- The Office of Student Activities – Conklin 111 – for student organizations
- The Office of International Education & Programs – for study abroad programs (Requires additional lead-time and Documentation)
- The Office of the Associate Provost – for academic trips and events
- The Budget Office -- Horton 160 -- for all State Account travel (State, IFR, DIFR or SUTRA funded travel)
Please note that all information required by the Offices of the International Programs and the Associate Provost will be forwarded to the Budget Office upon approval.
- If using a NET Card, the Chaperone or Sponsor will receive an email from Accounts
Payable/Travel Office notifying them that the travel has been approved for any State
Please note that NET cards will not be activated until proper approvals and documentation are on file.
- In certain instances, the Chaperone/Sponsor may be required to complete:
For questions or clarification of policy, please contact:
The Budget Office – 631-420-2092
The Accounts Payable/Travel Office – 631-420-2494
The Office of the Associate Provost – 631-420-2337
The Student Activities Office – 631-420-2103