Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration Grant Submission Process
Farmingdale State College (FSC) encourages faculty and staff to engage in professional development, grants, and research activities. The Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA) can assist in finding funding sources. The OSPRA will also assist with grant preparation by providing information on current indirect costs, fringe benefits, cost-sharing, etc., and general assistance in the budget preparation and proposal development, as well as in completing the FSC Grant Routing Form. All grant funding applications must be submitted through the OSPRA. Ideally, the FSC Grant Routing Form and draft proposal/budget should be submitted to the OSPRA two weeks before the grant proposal deadline. Please allow sufficient time to obtain administrative approvals and signatures.
Faculty First Steps:
- Download the Request for Proposal (RFP) or Program Solicitation for the grant.
- View any details about the grant on the funding agency website, including the FAQ, webinars and guidelines to ensure the project ideas fit within the funding opportunity.
- Contact the funding agency to discuss the project or project ideas (if allowed).
- Work with Department Chair and Dean to ensure that this grant and project idea falls within the mission of the School and that the College can support the proposed activities (release time, travel, etc.).
Faculty Next Steps - Processing of grant requests for grant funding involves:
- Principal Investigator or Project Director (PI/PD): The PI/PD should inform the OSPRA that a proposal is being written and the expected submission deadline by using the OSPRA Intent to Apply and Grant Notification Form The initial submission of a grant proposal to the OSPRA should be made in a timely manner so the proposal can be reviewed appropriately before the agency/sponsor deadline.
- Provide OSPRA with the agency guidelines, application, RFP, and/or program solicitation.
- Work with the Director of Sponsored Program Development to develop the budget and ensure that FSC can meet the budget requirements based on the project scope, feedback from appropriate offices and the agency guidelines.
- The Director of Sponsored Program Development can assist with narrative information regarding FSC but Faculty/Staff will write the grant proposal as the subject matter expert.
- The Faculty/Staff must obtain any letters of support from outside organization or partners that are necessary in advance so that FSC can meet minimum requirements for review if required.
- Grant Routing Form: The Grant Routing Form is completed and signed by the PI/PD when the proposal is ready for submission.
- The PI/PD then meets with their Department Chair/Director and Dean to discuss the
- Department Chair/Director Review: The Department Chair or Director reviews the proposed project to ensure that it is feasible with respect to personnel and material resources of the department. If approved, the Department Chair signs the Grant Routing Form. The PI/PD should then bring the Grant Routing Form to their Dean/Administrative Supervisor.
- Dean(s)/Administrative Supervisor(s) Review: The Dean(s)/Administrative Supervisor(s) review the proposed project in the context of the mission and available personnel and material resources. Upon approval, the Grant Routing Form is signed and then forwarded to OSPRA.
- Provide a draft proposal to OSPRA at least two weeks before the due date, along with the signed (by the Dean and Department Chair) Grant Routing Form so that it can be reviewed appropriately and vetted with the correct departments on campus.
Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration completes the following steps:
- Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA) Review: After the
Department Chair/Director and Dean has reviewed/approved, OSPRA receives the signed
grant routing form and proposal to review/approve. OSPRA will route the proposal to
obtain the following administrative approvals:
- Provost: The Provost reviews the proposal for consistency with the mission and availability and commitment of support services, including time and space. The Provost will consult with and inform the President as needed. Upon approval, the Provost signs the Grant Routing Form and returns it to OSPRA.
- Administration & Finance (If applicable): The Administration & Finance Office will review the proposal for consistency with financial commitments on the campus and commitment of support services, including space and cost share. The Administration & Finance Office will consult with and inform the President as needed. Upon approval, the Administration & Finance Office signs the Grant Routing Form and returns it to OSPRA.
- Other Approvals: As determined by the project or research it may be necessary to obtain other approvals from Physical Plant and/or other departments. It will be the responsibility of the OSPRA to work in conjunction with the PI/PD to obtain other necessary approvals.
- Research Foundation Representative: All budgets and matching fund commitments will be reviewed by the Director of Research Administration to ensure budgetary commitments are approved by the College. Upon approval, the Grant Routing Form is signed and returned to OSPRA.
- Final Changes and Submission: The proposal and signed Grant Routing Form are returned to OSPRA. The Director of Sponsored Program Development discusses any final changes of the proposal in consultation with the PI/PD. Final edits or reviews are completed and the proposal is prepared for final submission to the agency/sponsor.
Download Forms (PDF):
Download Forms (DOC):
Important Rates for your proposal