Mail & Supply
Central Stores/Central Receiving is a campus operated facility, whose primary goal is to provide services to the campus community through the following activities:
- Receiving of all goods from outside vendors
- Shipping of goods with return authorizations
- Delivery services for all goods received and general office supplies
Central Mail/Central Receiving processes and redistributes incoming material for campus departments and student related organizations. Incoming material deliveries include, but are not limited to UPS, U.S. Postal Service, FedEx and O. T. R. Delivery to a central location increases property accountability, customer satisfaction, and eliminates unnecessary vehicle traffic on campus therefore, making the campus safer for students, faculty and staff.
Farmingdale State College is registered with the United States Postal Service as a non-profit educational institution. Any abuse of private use of this service is a violation of the law which could result in a loss of this privilege. The College retains the right to open and inspect all outgoing mail and packages to ascertain appropriate use of our postal status. Personal use of our campus postage meter is strictly prohibited.
Central Stores/Central Receiving is located in the Service Building behind the Central Heating Plant. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. The main office may be reached at ext. 2226, Joanne Lieder, Supervisor of Operations ext 2118.
Central Stores provides office supplies that are purchased on a repetitive basis to the campus community. Before ordering from another source, click here for the list of available supplies in Central Stores. If the items are in stock, campus departments must complete the request for office supplies form and submit by email; email@example.com, fax to 631-794-6101, or interoffice mail. Once orders are received, items will be pulled and delivered. We aspire to complete orders within twenty-four (24) hours after receipt of the department request.
It is the goal of Central Receiving to deliver all incoming material to its final destination on the same day that it is received or within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt. Exceptions to Central Receiving "same day" delivery policy is:
- Materials requiring processing through property control (fixed assets)
- Freight requiring special delivery arrangements (large items, or large quantities)
- Deliveries will be coordinated between the department and the Physical Plant
Central Receiving delivers all items that are classified U.S. Mail.
Have vendors mark all packages as follows:
- PO Number
- Purchaser's Name
- Department Name
- Farmingdale State College Central Receiving
All Packages delivered without a PO number or name will be declared undeliverable and returned to sender.
Central Receiving prohibits the use of resources for delivery of personal material. If personal packages are received at Central Receiving, the recipient will be contacted and advised of the procedure for receiving personal property. Central Receiving or Farmingdale State College will not be responsible for delay, damage, or loss of personal items.
Incoming overnight freight must be addressed completely and correctly. Any Omission of the delivery information from an overnight package will result in the delay of delivery. If the purchaser or department name is omitted from the package’s delivery information, Central Receiving will make every effort to locate the recipient and deliver the package prior to returning to sender.
When shipments are received, the following procedure is followed:
- Freight is logged by PO number and quantity
- Arrival date and time
- Shipper information
- Delivering carrier
- Verification of contents
Incoming shipments from UPS, Federal Express, and O. T. R. trucks will be delivered to the campus prior to 3:00 pm The warehouse will verify all packages before being delivered to your location.
Verification of a shipment consists of the following:
- Verification that department has received the correct quantities and merchandise meets your specifications.
- When order is checked, sign the delivery and requisition form.
- If the shipment us unacceptable in any way, the vendor will be processed for payment only if the shipment is unacceptable and complete.
All high security items will be delivered the same day they are received and must be signed for by the designated person in the department. If large quantities or over-sized items are ordered, please have ample storage space in your area. If a delivery attempt is made and there is no one to sign in your location, a delivery notice will be left. Packages will be resent for delivery the next business day. If the second delivery attempt, you must call the warehouse at X2118 to make special arrangements for pick-up or delivery of the items.
Central Receiving will not accept COD, packages unless the department has made special arrangements with Central Receiving. Otherwise, the goods will be returned to sender.
- Communicate with the company and advise the reason of return. Have them issue a return merchandise authorization number (R. M. A.#). If the company is at fault, a request for shipping to be paid by them is possible. Confirm with them who is responsible for the shipping cost. A return label needs to be issued or one may have been provided when the item was shipped. Confirm the items will be either picked or if we are to ship them directly.
- Email Purchasing Department with the following information:
- The original PO #
- The Account #
- The Original Requisitioner
- The Items Being Returned
- The Reason For Return
- The R. M. A.#
- Shipping Responsibility
- Will the Shipment Be Picked Up or Will We Ship
- Shipping Address
Once the Purchasing Department has been emailed, a completed return authorization form will be sent to accounts payable, central receiving, and your department. Contact Central REceiving for merchandise to be picked up.