Online Readiness Self-Assessment
Is taking an online class a good fit for you?Learning through an online class requires different skills than learning in a face-to-face class. It's important to know what you're getting into and to understand the kind of commitment that's necessary for success in online learning. You can get a good idea of your readiness for online learning by clicking here to take a self-assessment.
This is my first online course with Farmingdale. What technology do I need?
To take courses through Blackboard, your computer system should meet at least the following minimum requirements:
- Processor: 1 Ghz or faster
- Operating system: Windows Vista and higher, Max OSX 10.6 and higher
- RAM: At least 512 MB, 1 GB is recommended
- Internet Connection: Broadband (high-speed) capable of 1.5 Mbps or higher
- Web browser: Internet Explore 11, Firefox 31+, Chrome 36* Safari 7+
- Java must be installed and pop-up blockers must be allowed for https://farmingdale.open.suny.edu
- Monitor that supports screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher
- Word processing software that allows you to save files in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format (RTF).
I am enrolled in an online course. How do I access it?
Connect to the Internet and point your web browser to https://farmingdale.open.suny.edu.
For more detailed browser information visit the Open SUNY Course Browser Compatibility Site
What if I have technical questions about using Blackboard Learn?
The Open SUNY HelpDesk is available to answer your technical questions. You can contact the Open SUNY HelpDesk at 1-844-OPENSUNY (844-673-6786), or by email at OpenSUNYHelp@suny.edu. You can also contact us at email@example.com.
What if I want to withdraw from an online course?
You are registered at Farmingdale State and, therefore, you will follow the College's policies, including its academic calendar, withdrawal dates, refund policies, etc. If you are interested in withdrawing from your Open SUNY courses, you should notify your instructor and contact the Farmingdale State Registrar's Office (631-420-2776). Information about the College's Academic Policies can be found in the College Catalog. The College's Academic Calendar can be found at https://www.farmingdale.edu/academics/academic-calendar.shtml.
How do I obtain course materials and textbooks?
Visit the campus bookstore for detailed information on materials required for each course. Textbooks should be available at the Farmingdale State Bookstore (631-249-3048), which can arrange to have your books delivered to you.